How to Calculate Page 14 of Peskin Schroeder without Getting Stuck?

In summary, the author is trying to integrate a Gaussian, but is stuck at the point where he needs to integrate the theta term.
silverwhale
Hi Everybody,

I am trying to do the calculation of Peskin Schroeder page 14, namely the first block of equations. The author moves from:

[tex]
U(t) = \frac{1}{2 \pi^3} \int d^3p e^{-i(p^2/2m)t} e^{ip \cdot (x-x_0)}.
[/tex]
to
[tex]
U(t) = (\frac{m}{2 \pi i t})^{3/2} e^{im(x-x_0)^2/2t}.
[/tex]
I guess the way to go is to do a spherical integration of a Gaussian. But I can't really advance through the calculation. I am stuck at this point:

[tex] \int \int \int p^2 sin \phi dp d\theta d\phi e^{-i (\frac{p^2}{2m}) t} e^{ip [\sin \phi \cos \theta (x-x0) + \sin \phi \sin \theta (y-y_0) + \cos \phi (z -z_0)]}. [/tex]

Trying to get rid of the theta integral I get this function:
[tex]
\int_0^\pi e^{ip sin \phi \cos(\theta) (x-x_0)} d\theta \equiv \int_0^\pi e^{i m \cos(\theta)} d\theta
[/tex]
which I do not know how to integrate.

Am I on the right track? Any hint is welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
silverwhale said:
Hi Everybody,

I am trying to do the calculation of Peskin Schroeder page 14, namely the first block of equations. The author moves from:

[tex]
U(t) = \frac{1}{2 \pi^3} \int d^3p e^{-i(p^2/2m)t} e^{ip \cdot (x-x_0)}.
[/tex]
to
[tex]
U(t) = (\frac{m}{2 \pi i t})^{3/2} e^{im(x-x_0)^2/2t}.
[/tex]
I guess the way to go is to do a spherical integration of a Gaussian. But I can't really advance through the calculation. I am stuck at this point:

First, complete the square:

##\frac{p^2}{2m} t - p \cdot (x-x_0) = \frac{t}{2m} [(p - \frac{m}{t} (x-x_0))^2 - (\frac{m (x-x_0)}{t})^2]##

Now, change variables to ##u = p - \frac{m}{t} (x-x_0)##.

Likes mfb
Sometimes easy seems to be hard.. ;-)

Related to How to Calculate Page 14 of Peskin Schroeder without Getting Stuck?

1. What is the significance of Peskin Schroeder page 14?

The Peskin Schroeder page 14 is significant because it introduces the concept of perturbation theory in quantum field theory, which is a crucial tool for calculating physical quantities in particle physics.

2. What does the perturbation theory on Peskin Schroeder page 14 involve?

The perturbation theory on Peskin Schroeder page 14 involves expanding the Hamiltonian and other physical quantities in a series of powers of a small parameter, usually the coupling constant.

3. How does perturbation theory on Peskin Schroeder page 14 help in understanding quantum field theory?

Perturbation theory on Peskin Schroeder page 14 allows for a systematic approach to calculating physical quantities in quantum field theory, making it easier to understand and predict the behavior of particles and their interactions.

4. Is the perturbation theory on Peskin Schroeder page 14 applicable to all quantum field theories?

Yes, perturbation theory on Peskin Schroeder page 14 is a general technique that can be applied to any quantum field theory, as long as the theory is well-defined and perturbatively renormalizable.

5. Can the perturbation theory on Peskin Schroeder page 14 be used beyond the first-order approximation?

Yes, the perturbation theory on Peskin Schroeder page 14 can be extended to higher orders of approximation, allowing for more precise calculations of physical quantities. However, as the number of terms in the series increases, the calculations become more complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.