Pets Love Wheels? Cat Version of Mouse Wheel Explained

In summary, Cats seem to love these mouse-like wheels for their own amusement and the amusement of others. They may enjoy it for a short while, but they will continue to use it for the rest of their lives if they have access to it.
Mallignamius
This is a clip of a "cat wheel," a feline version of a mouse wheel. I had several mice years ago, and they couldn't seem to get enough of their wheel. What is the appeal of these wheels to animals?

Anyways, it's also a cute clip, and if you're a cat lover, you know you want one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't YOU want one?

If I was a quadruped, maybe.

Click on the "onboard Skylab" video from the link below. It includes a scene of the "running" track. There's another video of 3 people running on the track at the same time, but I haven't found it yet.

http://www.stmms.org/video.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've seen that before. I'd think almost everything is fun in 0g. I still don't understand the love animals have for a wheel. It might be fun for a while, but these animals will do it all their lives, and compete over it.

Mallignamius said:
I had several mice years ago, and they couldn't seem to get enough of their wheel. What is the appeal of these wheels to animals?

I don't know if it would be as appealing to cats as it is to mice. Mice (and other small rodents) typically run quite long distances every night in the wild while searching for food and mates. When confined to a small cage, about the only running exercise they can get to express this behavior is on those wheels. I recall years ago some debate by animal behaviorists whether wheel running was a health expression of normal behavior, or an abnormal stereotypy (like pacing by lions or cribbing by horses) due to a stressful/overly boring housing environment. I'm not sure that debate was ever resolved. But, the more elaborate their housing environment so they have more choices of things to do and ways to get exercise, the less wheel running they'll do. Have fun building an elaborate habitrail for your rodent pets, putting food in various chambers for them to forage, and bedding/nesting material in others, and watch them scurry all over the place at night.

moe darklight said:
wouldn't YOU want one?

I have one and it cost me a thousand bucks. I call it a treadmill. :smile:

out of whack said:
I have one and it cost me a thousand bucks. I call it a treadmill. :smile:
Mine soon became a clothes rack. :redface:

Related to Pets Love Wheels? Cat Version of Mouse Wheel Explained

1. What is "Pets Love Wheels"?

"Pets Love Wheels" is a cat version of a mouse wheel, designed specifically for cats to play and exercise on. It is a circular wheel that rotates as the cat walks or runs on it, providing a fun and stimulating activity for the cat.

2. How does the cat version of a mouse wheel work?

The cat version of a mouse wheel works similarly to a hamster wheel. It is a circular wheel that is designed to rotate as the cat walks or runs on it. The rotation of the wheel provides exercise for the cat's muscles and joints, improving their overall health and well-being.

3. What are the benefits of using "Pets Love Wheels" for cats?

"Pets Love Wheels" offers several benefits for cats, such as providing them with a fun and stimulating form of exercise. It helps to keep their muscles and joints healthy, prevents boredom and destructive behavior, and can also aid in weight management for overweight cats.

4. Is "Pets Love Wheels" safe for cats to use?

Yes, "Pets Love Wheels" is designed with the safety of cats in mind. The wheel is made of durable materials and has a non-slip surface to prevent any accidents or injuries. However, it is always important to supervise your cat while they are using the wheel, especially if they are new to it.

5. Can all cats use "Pets Love Wheels"?

Most cats can use "Pets Love Wheels", but it may not be suitable for all cats. Some cats may not be interested in using the wheel, while others may have health conditions that prevent them from using it. It is best to consult with your veterinarian before introducing your cat to "Pets Love Wheels" to ensure it is safe for them to use.