Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Email Notifications and Confirmations

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    A couple months ago we experienced trouble sending out email. I just want to recheck this and see if people are receiving their thread notification emails and if new members are getting their account confirmation emails. thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they aren't, how would they tell us that? :biggrin:

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have new thread notifications disabled, but I received a few from old threads last Friday.

5. Nov 27, 2007 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wasn't getting any back then but when you did your magic that all changed -- works like a charm.

6. Nov 27, 2007 #5
    I'm receiving thread notifications just fine.

7. Nov 30, 2007 #6
  8. Dec 13, 2007 #7
    Anyone with account disabled is potential victim of email problems. Do you know why some people have their accounts disabled? The kaotak has had his username written in thin letters for quite long time now. Also, what's the Galileo's situation?

9. Dec 13, 2007 #8
    Greg Bernhardt, I sent you a PM and an E-mail last week. Did you get the message and/or send a reply?

10. Dec 13, 2007 #9

Danger

Gold Member

My e-mail is full, as is my PM box here, so I wouldn't know if something had been sent. In any event, I don't want anything to be sent unless it's someone on PF to whom I've given my address. (Not to say that I don't welcome PM's from people; I just don't have a place to save the old ones right now, so I can't empty the box. E-mails, though, are off limits.)
    In any event, the only times that I've received thread updates was when some dumb-ass part of the site software subscribed me to threads that I didn't even know about. It's happened half a dozen times, and I've just gone into my personal space to delete the subscription.

11. Dec 13, 2007 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You've managed to fill an email account? Wow.. don't most email accounts have gigabytes of storage nowadays?

12. Dec 13, 2007 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah. Most of it's spam. The problem is that I don't know how to 'bulk delete' the stuff. I don't have the patience to select every damned one of them individually and delete them. Likewise, I can't bulk select the ones that I want to save. :mad:
    As of today, I have 1,046 messages. 90% of those are from the administrator telling me that the mail is full. :rolleyes:

13. Dec 13, 2007 #12
    Yes. My email is spammed too. It slowed down a bit after I turned off notification, but those old threads just won't go away!

14. Dec 13, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can go into UserCP and view subscribed threads, and unsubscribe or change the notifications for them there.

Also, you can select to NOT allow any emails be sent from people on PF if you don't want to ever be contacted that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?