PF Insights: The Official PF Blog

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, PF Insights is a blog that will be filled with casual and technical commentary on all things science and math. All written by your favorite select members from the PF community. The diversity of content should be it's real strength. One week you may find an entry on a member's work experience at a particle accelerator. The next week you could find a review of the hottest pop sci book. The next week you find a tutorial on an interesting way to solve an equation. The next week an opinion piece on the lack of science funding. The next week a commentary on a big science discovery. And on and on and on, the possibilities are endless!
UPDATE: PF Insights is now live!

We are proud to announce the soon to be feature of "PF Insights: The Official PF Blog"

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/insightslogo-300x71.png

This blog will be a fantastic collection of casual and technical commentary on all things science and math. All written by your favorite select members from the PF community. The diversity of content should be it's real strength. One week you may find an entry on a member's work experience at a particle accelerator. The next week you could find a review of the hottest pop sci book. The next week you find a tutorial on an interesting way to solve an equation. The next week an opinion piece on the lack of science funding. The next week a commentary on a big science discovery. And on and on and on, the possibilities are endless!

PF Insights will truly be a place you'll want to be checking out every time you visit to see what is new.

We are hoping to release PF Insights to the public first week of May.

To round off our writing team, we are looking for interested bloggers with a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a science. Special exceptions are possible. If you would like to be considered to become part of the PF Insights writing team, please apply here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/

More information to come!

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark, vanhees71, AdityaDev and 8 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Will there be a Cooking with Om segment? I know @OmCheeto would love it.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and donpacino
This seems like a good place to have a "request section" where people can request that an SME writes a segment on a particular topic.

for example. I have always been interested in aerodynamics, but have not taken any formal coursework in the subject.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
The problem is that we may or may not have someone with the necessary skill set to write a particular article.

Very true, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm sure someone might at the very least have some exposure to the subject. the best way to learn is to teach

Likes Greg Bernhardt
You can't have a decent blog if someone only has 'some exposure' on a subject. Unless perhaps you're blogging about the effects of sub-zero temperatures on bare skin. :wink:

good point

donpacino said:
for example. I have always been interested in aerodynamics, but have not taken any formal coursework in the subject.

Have you tried wikipedia or any of the open material / courses available on the web?

The problem with writing an article on core topics today is that there's such a huge (and often good quality) body of pre existing work out there that I feel overwhelmed to put time into yet another article. To know you can do better than what's out there needs a huge investment for most broad topics.

Likes dextercioby and Greg Bernhardt
My suggestion is articles on esoteric topics. That segment may not be saturated yet.

e.g. Maybe we have a member who's worked with massive turbines or a railway engine repairman or someone who laid dynamite in mines.

Its very fun to read anecdotes from such people.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
To round off our writing team, we are looking for interested bloggers with a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a science.
Aw man I'll have to wait for 5 years before I can get started!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
rollingstein said:
My suggestion is articles on esoteric topics.
Or a different spin on common topics. We're definitely not trying to build a vanilla encyclopedia. The nature of blogs enables writers the freedom to add their own flare and personality.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Or a different spin on common topics. We're definitely not trying to build a vanilla encyclopedia. The nature of blogs enables writers the freedom to add their own flare and personality.

I'd love to write. Can I write under a pseudonym? Too many wackos out there. Will fill the form to apply.

rollingstein said:
I'd love to write. Can I write under a pseudonym? Too many wackos out there. Will fill the form to apply.
You will be logged in as rollingstein :)

Likes rollingstein
I wanted to mention that "members" information can now be found in the "Info" nav link

rollingstein said:
Have you tried wikipedia or any of the open material / courses available on the web?

The problem with writing an article on core topics today is that there's such a huge (and often good quality) body of pre existing work out there that I feel overwhelmed to put time into yet another article. To know you can do better than what's out there needs a huge investment for most broad topics.
I have looked at Wikipedia (briefly) and looked for some online articles. I have found that everything is either way to easy (high level concepts no math) or too difficult (requiring a bachelors at minimum in the subject). Maybe in my specific case something like MIT opencourseware is the way to go. I also havnt looked wayyy too hard.

I still think there is a place for a request section, but maybe it would be more of a, "hey rollingstein, i know you're good at 'X' any good stories or cool ideas to share"?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
donpacino said:
I still think there is a place for a request section, but maybe it would be more of a, "hey rollingstein, i know you're good at 'X' any good stories or cool ideas to share"?
It's a great idea, we will add a sticky for recommendations once we go live.

this will be helpful

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Drakkith said:
Will there be a Cooking with Om segment? I know @OmCheeto would love it.
Not after my last attempt. Though I think I've discovered a method of turning perfectly good food into compost, almost instantly
I converted 2 potatoes, 1 cup lentils, and some spices, into curried dirt biscuits. I still have a bag full in the fridge, if you'd like some.

But I don't think that would be a very popular subject, so I was thinking instead, that I would compile the worlds greatest collection of electrical analogies.
My next analogy will involve an electrostatically charged chicken as the electrons, and the road as the resistor.
The goal of course, is to finally find the proper mathematical derivation of the motivation.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff and Drakkith
OmCheeto said:
But I don't think that would be a very popular subject, so I was thinking instead, that I would compile the worlds greatest collection of electrical analogies.

Oh please! Oh please oh please oh please!

Likes OmCheeto
Drakkith said:
Oh please! Oh please oh please oh please!
Things might get complicated if we want to model AC.
I believe we would need at least two chickens, and a bucket of magnuggets.
You see, once the chicken is motivated, a massless invisible swarm of magnuggets start mysteriously swirling around the chicken.
And I think we'd need some flies. Yes, lots of flies.

And superconductivity... Ah ha! Properly motivated, two chickens, who normally are repulsed by each other, can be brought together, into a bond called: a chicken cooper pair.

hmmm...
Perhaps this isn't a good idea.

OmCheeto said:
Perhaps this isn't a good idea.

On the contrary, it's a delicious idea.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
dlgoff said:
I just got home and haven't read it, but it sure looks spiffy. I think you've got a hit here Greg. :bow:
It's all up to the writers :smile:

Likes dlgoff
The quizz about Einstein is bugged as of now. At least for the last 2 questions.
Normally when you're wrong you get to see the correct answer with a green check sign and your wrong answer with a red cross. I only get to see a red cross for the last 2 questions. I know the correct answer because it's written below.
But here's another bug, for the last question: 12. According to himself, what was Einstien’s “biggest blunder”. I ticked the correct answer (Creation of Lambda) and I get a red cross as if it was wrong. However at the bottom I get, as correct answer: Creation of Lambda or Cosmological Constant.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
fluidistic said:
The quizz about Einstein is bugged as of now. At least for the last 2 questions.
Thanks, I just fixed the last two questions

Likes fluidistic
Submitting a Post
Format and Style
If I sign up, and write one, can I at least use an English accent?
Or, in the least, a Scottish one.
I've heard the chickens in 'Chicken Run' spoke in a Scottish accent.

Based upon that, I've decided that one can't very well, write a chicken based electrical analogy without a proper Scottish accent.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
So is there any place where people can request for blogs on certain topics, and writers can choose from the popular requests?

PWiz said:
So is there any place where people can request for blogs on certain topics, and writers can choose from the popular requests?
I'll be making a suggestion thread shortly, thanks!

Likes PWiz
Here is the request thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-insights-topic-request.812096/

Last edited: