PF Members: Which Roast Dinner Do You Prefer?

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
In summary, members of PF seem to prefer traditional roast options such as chicken, turkey, beef, pork, and lamb. However, some members also enjoy more exotic options like elk, moose, wild boar, deer, kangaroo, and even stallion. Others prefer game birds such as pheasant, duck, and squab. However, there are some who do not eat meat at all or have dietary restrictions that limit their options. Overall, opinions on roast dinner options are varied among PF members.

Which roast dinner?

• Chicken

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • Turkey

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Beef

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Pork

• Lamb

• Whale

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Which roast dinner do PF members prefer?

Edit: And it would appear that my poll hasn't been created. Your options are as follows:

1. Chicken
2. Turkey
3. Beef
4. Pork
5. Lamb

I don't want to know about vegetarians, nor do I wish to hear from those showing preference for more esoteric roast options (quail, guinea fowl, stallion, wild boar, crocodile etc). I'm sure they're all very nice, but they're just going to throw spanners into my works. If you really insist, I'll allow option 6 to be gammon, but that's it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Turkey! :biggrin:

A bit off topic: Is uni of sheffield and uni of manchester close to each other?

Roast beef (rare) and roasted, seasoned potatoes! :approve: Yummy yummy!

Bladibla said:
Turkey! :biggrin:

A bit off topic: Is uni of sheffield and uni of manchester close to each other?

Within 30 miles of one another.

If you mean what kind of meat, I would have to say elk or moose, but wild boar or deer is good, and so are various kinds of reptiles such as alligator/crocodile, goana, various kinds of snake.

Astronuc said:
If you mean what kind of meat, I would have to say elk or moose, but wild boar or deer is good, and so are various kinds of reptiles such as alligator/crocodile, goana, various kinds of snake.

For Dave's sake Astronuc, at least wait until I've edited my post to stop fussy buggers like you from taking this to silly levels!

I didn't know that you were editing.

I could add kangaroo. I have had that and all the meats I posted. Oh, yeah, and buffalo.

You could combine 1 and 2 - domestic fowl.

Domestic meat is bland after eating wild game.

brewnog said:
For Dave's sake Astronuc, at least wait until I've edited my post to stop fussy buggers like you from taking this to silly levels!

I'm glad my response was within your acceptable list even before you posted an acceptable list. :rofl:

I do kind of wish that when you check the box to post a poll that the first post going with it would wait to appear until you were done creating the poll. Can you go back and add the poll when you edit?

(Nevermind- it's there now)

Astronuc said:
I didn't know that you were editing.
Hah, neither did I until my poll didn't work! :smile:

Astronuc said:
Domestic meat is bland after eating wild game.

I completely agree with you, I've had wild boar a number of times and it's fantastic. My current favourite is roast stallion (check out the riverside restaurants in Ljubljana next time you're in Slovenia).

However, I was trying to keep it to "The Big Five", it's easier to keep a track of things...

The thread has been visited by the poll fairy, everyone go back and vote.

I was going to add Tofurkey for vegetarians, but it's not my thread. No fish either?

What about squab? No roast squab? Or cornish game hens? :wink:

Sweeeeeeeeeet! I want a poll fairy too!

Nope sorry, no fish, no fake meat, no nut roasts... and what the Fegg is a squab?

Moonbear said:
Can you go back and add the poll when you edit?

Nope, you can't. You have to wait for a fairy.

brewnog said:
Sweeeeeeeeeet! I want a poll fairy too!

Nope sorry, no fish, no fake meat, no nut roasts... and what the Fegg is a squab?

It's a pigeon.

It's a baby pigeon. I would not eat one, poor little things. :frown:

Evo said:
It's a baby pigeon. I would not eat one, poor little things. :frown:

Poor little things? Pigeons are everywhere! Actually, I wouldn't eat it because pigeons are sort of like rats with wings in my view. I know the ones people eat are not just plucked from the local park (well, who knows, maybe some are), but I just can't get that image out of my mind.

I do like game birds though. My sister has a friend whose wife won't eat any of the birds he shoots, so he has to give most of them away (I guess he's allowed to eat some of them by himself). We had pheasant for Christmas dinner. :approve: Oh, duck is really good too, even farm-raised is good when it comes to duck.

Roast chicken! It all tastes like chicken anyway. :rofl:
The strangest I had was roast octopus.

Moonbear, your thought process was exactly the same as mine!

"Pigeons? Eat the little buggers, they're all over the place, they're horrible! Eurgh, they're horrible! Why would I want to eat that? Incinerate the buggers!"

Moonbear said:
Roast beef (rare) and roasted, seasoned potatoes! :approve: Yummy yummy!

Do you like the carrots also, and don't forget homemade bread and mac and cheese.

Sign for the Saskatoon (Steakhouse?) Restaurant which serves steaks, fish and wildgame.

"There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.

Right next to the mashed potatoes." :biggrin:

Pigeons are virmin! I once watched a cookery program hosted by a guy called Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall, in with he cooked and ate a squirrel! with i thought was a little bit strange!

maybe this should have gone in the "What weird food do you eat?" thread

lawtonfogle said:
Do you like the carrots also, and don't forget homemade bread and mac and cheese.

I'm neither a fan of cooked carrots (love 'em raw though) nor mac and cheese (no, stuff out of a box doesn't even begin to count there). Homemade bread is great though! :approve:

I love carrots sauteed with butter and garlic, it's the only way my girls will eat them. I also was given some carrots with cheese sauce and they were wonderful, those are the only two ways I like carrots. No sweet gunk for me. :yuck:

Leg of lamb with tons of garlic inserted and roasted on a spit. :!)

I'm not a huge fan of roast beef, prime rib is an exception.

Pork tenderloins marinated in lemon and garlic is good.

hypermorphism said:
Roast chicken! It all tastes like chicken anyway. :rofl:
I was going to say that!
zanazzi78 said:
Pigeons are virmin!
That's what I thought too!

I've had brain (cow), tongue, rattlesnake, etc., but don't think I could eat goats eyes, termites, etc. Though...in watching a survival program about how to find sources of nutrients (mostly insects) and how to cook these (if you have a way to start a fire, water, etc.) I suppose squirrel, pigeons, rats, etc. would begin to look pretty darn good.

Until that day comes (hopefully never) I'm with Evo -- lamb, yum!

Moonbear said:
We had pheasant for Christmas dinner. :approve:

So very jealous. Very, very jealous. I love pheasant. Hadn't had it in years. My Dad has a buddy who runs a game farm and when his clients would miss a couple birds in their hunt, he would call us up and we would get to try at them for free. There aren't very many wild pheasants in Wisconsin, atleast that I ever found, so farm raised taste as good as I have ever had. I agree with Astronuc about wild game vs. farmed game, though. Nothing like fresh game.
Cheers.

I've never had pheasant, I've eaten just about every other type of fowl that is eaten though. I guess I've missed out.

I made a nice beef roast tonight :tongue2:

Cooked it with potatoes, carrots and parsnip - nothing fancy. Gravy was excellent. Next time I'll add a few more veggies.

Meat was nice and tender, and juicy. :biggrin: :tongue2:

Astronuc said:
I made a nice beef roast tonight :tongue2:

Cooked it with potatoes, carrots and parsnip - nothing fancy. Gravy was excellent. Next time I'll add a few more veggies.

Meat was nice and tender, and juicy. :biggrin: :tongue2:
Damn you, I have been starving all day and nothing I eat seems to stop it. I'd give anything for a slab 'o beef right now. :cry: With yorkshire pudding. :cry: :cry:

I also had a craving for pickles tonight, I've almost polished of a quart jar of them. :bugeye: I can't eat a pickle anymore without thinking of Arildno's mom's pickles. I want one of those pickles.

Cottage cheese, now I want cottage cheese, with olives, stuffed in celery. :cry:

Is this a psychological substitute for something missing from my life? What could that be?

Last edited:
I'm a chicken-man. Nothing better than shoving an onion and some garlic up its jacksie and then slow roasting it.

Plus my parents roast potatoes of course. They put paprika on them before they get cooked. Awesome stuff.

Last night I had roast pork with homemade apple sauce. And then a strawberry and rhubarb crumble. Dad is getting creative.

Beef! Well done!

Evo said:
Damn you, I have been starving all day and nothing I eat seems to stop it. I'd give anything for a slab 'o beef right now. :cry: With yorkshire pudding. :cry: :cry:

I also had a craving for pickles tonight, I've almost polished of a quart jar of them. :bugeye: I can't eat a pickle anymore without thinking of Arildno's mom's pickles. I want one of those pickles.

Cottage cheese, now I want cottage cheese, with olives, stuffed in celery. :cry:

Is this a psychological substitute for something missing from my life? What could that be?
:redface: You should've let me know. I'd bring some roast and fixings right over. :smile:

Roast and Yorkshire pudding - you mean like this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sunday_roast_-_roast_beef_1.jpg

And I made celery sticks with a "veggie" dip. I prefer Philadelphia Cream Cheese with chopped olives or a savory cheese, e.g. Monterrey Jack with jalapeño or a not-so-sharp cheddar with pimento, in celery sticks.

Dear lord Astronuc, did somebody say necropost?

For a moment I thought someone had been in here as me, and opened a poll under my name! Never mind eh.

Beef: It's what's for dinner.

brewnog said:
Dear lord Astronuc, did somebody say necropost?

For a moment I thought someone had been in here as me, and opened a poll under my name! Never mind eh.
It's more like "Resurrection"! :rofl:

Anyway, I was thinking about reviving either of two "What's for dinner" threads, one originated by Evo and the other by yomamma, but they should be merged first, and anyway, the subject of this thread seemed appropriate for my purpose. :biggrin:

And actually, I like roast game, e.g. elk or moose, with a blackberry or cloudberry sauce. I had some fantastic roasted moose (Älg) in Sweden. :tongue2:

And I had some great roast boar and elk in England. :tongue2:

Also had some roast kangaroo in Preston of all places. You haven't eaten meat until you've eaten kangaroo steaks. It is to heavily exercise one's mandible - it's tougher than buffalo jerky! I can't tell you how painful my jaws were after that meal! But it was great! :tongue2: :biggrin:

Last edited:
I see that you pre-eliminated Guinea fowl, you barbarian. Nice try, but since I've always preferred pork to chicken, I'm sticking with Guinea pig. :approve:

Astronuc said:
:redface: You should've let me know. I'd bring some roast and fixings right over. :smile:

Roast and Yorkshire pudding - you mean like this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sunday_roast_-_roast_beef_1.jpg
No, that's a scary looking yorkshire pudding.

Traditional yorkshire pudding is baked in drippings in the same pan that the roast was cooked in, so it is usually large and rectangular and you cut it into squares. That's some new age yorkshire pudding there. :grumpy: Goes to show you can't trust wikipedia. :tongue:

This is a real yorkshire pudding.

Attachments

• yorkshire_pudding.gif
    yorkshire_pudding.gif
    32.3 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Back