Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Quiz #3 Today at 11AM CST

1. Jul 25, 2008 #1

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With Zz's absence this Sunday, I have prepared a PF quiz and will run it if enough people are interested and chat is up.

The quiz will start at 11AM CST. The quiz consists of 30 general knowledge questions and should therefore take no more than an hour.

RULES

1. Members in the quiz room should not carry on any conversation while the quiz is running nor seek any clarification over the questions.
    2. Members should use white font only and refrain from using italics or bold.
    3. Members will be permitted only one chance at answering each question. Members giving more than one answer will be disqualified from that question even if one of their answers is correct.
    4. The first member to answer the question correctly as determined by what is displayed on the chat screen will receive 1 point. I will acknowledge the answer by typing "{PF member} correct".
    5. There will be a time limit of approximately 1 minute after the question is displayed. If there is no correct answer I will reveal it and that question will then be closed. If I've started typing when someone answers and the chat shows that correct answer before my revealed answer, then they will receive 1 point for the question. All answers after the reveal, correct or not, will not count.
    6. There will be breaks during the quiz after each set of ten questions.
    7. Have fun :smile:

Anyone wanting to join in pay particular attention to rule #3 and #7. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: PF Quiz #3

Sounds good Kurdt; I'll be there!

4. Jul 25, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kurdt, If I start yapping about the weather between questions (in violation of #1), will you disqualify my 7 guesses to the previous question: Cruithne, It's, really, hot, and, humid, here?

5. Jul 25, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Excelent Kurdt!!

6. Jul 25, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cruithne? Have you been handed a copy of my quiz? *Quickly finds another question*

If you have 7 clear guesses then yes you will be disqualified from the question. I'm not looking to spoil anyone's fun by excluding a bit of banter between members, just make sure its clear that I know its banter and not a guess or answer. I know Zz was lenient in the first quiz on rule one and that went ok. This is not an invitation for people to be excessively silly or else I'll have to employ Evo's kicking boots (if she doesn't mind) if the enjoyment for others is being spoiled. :tongue2:

I introduced rule 3 because I know a number of people requested it. We can consider this as a trial run of that rule.

7. Jul 25, 2008 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think that having the rule that only one answer per participant is a good idea. It provides an added consideration to the strategy: "Do I google the answer and risk someone else answering correctly ahead of me, or do I simply blurt out the answer that I am only 50% sure of?"

Zz.

8. Jul 25, 2008 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think 50% makes for blurtworthy odds.

9. Jul 25, 2008 #8

Evo

If the category is science, Gokul shouldn't be allowed to play. :biggrin:

<Evo will never go up against Gokul in a science quiz>

10. Jul 25, 2008 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll make a science quiz for one of these chats, in a couple weeks or so.

11. Jul 25, 2008 #10

Evo

Ooooh, I love your quizes!!

12. Jul 26, 2008 #11

Sounds like fun! Just 1 question, will you be accepting bribes in exchange for the correct answers (and their respective questions)?

13. Jul 27, 2008 #12

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last week, you might have been able to get to Evo with chocolate; I don't know what it will take to get to Kurdt.

14. Jul 27, 2008 #13

Evo

Quiz today at 11AM CST!

15. Jul 27, 2008 #14

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11AM CDT?

Another quiz that I'm going to miss! :grumpy:

11AM CT is 1PM AT (my time), and the boss wants to eat lunch at the Saint John Greek Fest, which is being held about one kilometre from our place.

Hmmm .... Souvlaki and greek salad? Or moussaka, pastitsio, and greek salad?

16. Jul 27, 2008 #15
    on a sunday ?

or the boss=your wife ?

17. Jul 27, 2008 #16

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, what did you say a little while ago on chat about relationships?

18. Jul 27, 2008 #17
    I am sorry, but i never recall my own words.

I know, that's just sad...

marlon

19. Jul 27, 2008 #18

Evo

Yes!!

Join us after the feast, if you can still move.

20. Jul 27, 2008 #19
    isn't the quiz about to begin in two minutes ?

21. Jul 27, 2008 #20
    guess not, clearly 11 am CST does not equal 5pm in Belgium

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?