PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
It actually just happened with your #453 and #455 @Greg Bernhardt - the alert flashed up then vanished as it auto-downloaded.

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone write a reply here so I can monitor and see if I can get that to happen

Greg Bernhardt said:
Someone write a reply here so I can monitor and see if I can get that to happen
Okay.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I will investigate this. In the meantime, are you guys using push notifications?
I have them turned off - I get enough taskbar notifications! I have the habit of rechecking my "watched" forums most days, which let's me clean up anything I missed.

PeroK said:
Okay.
So this is confirmed. I don't get a visual alert marker, but I see the content generate, I get the push notification and I see the read alert in the drop down.

Greg Bernhardt said:
So this is confirmed. I don't get a visual alert marker, but I see the content generate, I get the push notification and I see the read alert in the drop down.
Occasionally you do get the alert marker, but only for a second. That's what I saw just now, and I'm on 3G in an area where I suspect the network is heavily used. So I guess the auto-download counts as "read" for the purposes of the alert marker.

Thanks for all your efforts, by the way, @Greg Bernhardt. I do know how frustrating it is trying to make a system "just do what I expect" for multiple users who all have different expectations (and I've never supported a system with a userbase the size of PF).

Thanks for all the feedback! I understand the issue and can reproduce, so that helps!

Likes Wrichik Basu, WWGD and Ibix
Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks for all the feedback! I understand the issue and can reproduce, so that helps!
I can reproduce too (??)( Last I checked).

Greg Bernhardt said:
So if you have a tab open to a thread, if that thread receives a new reply, you don't get an alert?
Yes. I didn't test whether "open" in your statement has to be replaced by "focused", but I don't think so.

I can watch an active thread, post by post like a tv show without getting new alerts. The advantage is: If there is a new alert, it is for another thread.

Other users might call new red boxes while watching annoying!

This is really not an issue/error but did not know where else to ask: What is it with the light bulb icons next to the questions. Some have an orange-like tone where a few have a greyish-looking color? What's the difference in the choice of coloring? As of the time of this post, Stem Education and Teaching and Topology and Analysis are the only two forums with the lighter color. All others have an orange hue. Is it to signify that posters on those sites are out of ideas or something : the lightbulb went of ;)? If not, what is it?

WWGD said:
This is really not an issue/error but did not know where else to ask: What is it with the light bulb icons next to the questions. Some have an orange-like tone where a few have a greyish-looking color? What's the difference in the choice of coloring? As of the time of this post, Stem Education and Teaching and Topology and Analysis are the only two forums with the lighter color. All others have an orange hue. Is it to signify that posters on those sites are out of ideas or something : the lightbulb went of ;)? If not, what is it?
They ALL appear orange in color (their outlines) as I view them. Orange foreground and white background.

WWGD said:
What is it with the light bulb icons next to the questions
Next to questions?

The ones in the forum list indicate if there are any unread posts in the forum. If you click "Mark read" in a forum (and any subforums) and then go to its parent, you'll find the orange bulb has gone grey. And not red, as it clearly should when it's read. :wink:

Likes WWGD
When not logged in, ads are placed in line with the text. Consider the following screenshot from the mobile version. You can see the word "It's" is broken up badly beside and below the ad.

Screenshot_20191208-015925.jpg

Maybe you can put the ad, and make the text start below it rather than beside it? From desktop, this is still okay, but from mobile, it doesn't look quite right.

(I have an ad blocker module that removes the ads, but doesn't remove the space for the ad (unlike desktop browser ad blockers). So although I don't see the ad, a space is still left for it.)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
In the new Insights view, the "Trending articles" section looks like this from laptop:

1575872138082.png

However, from my phone, the thumbnails are not visible:

Screenshot_20191209-114201.png

My laptop is connected to the same network as the phone (by tethering the internet from the phone).

This does not change if I switch on "Request Desktop Site" from Chrome.

Tested on two different devices, same issue. Tried clearing cache and cookies, still no luck.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt
It works on my phone so it can't be a general problem.

I observed similar effects, if the browser doesn't have enough resources to load the pictures properly. They are usually changed last, and this process can be disturbed.

fresh_42 said:
I observed similar effects, if the browser doesn't have enough resources to load the pictures properly. They are usually changed last, and this process can be disturbed.
This makes me think the lazy image loading process is getting stuck.

Greg Bernhardt said:
This makes me think the lazy image loading process is getting stuck.
But other threads are loading fine. Even the photo contest voting threads.

Wrichik Basu said:
But other threads are loading fine. Even the photo contest voting threads.
These are two distinct software platforms connected by a bridge. Do you have image loading issues elsewhere in Insights blog?

Greg Bernhardt said:
These are two distinct software platforms connected by a bridge. Do you have image loading issues elsewhere in Insights blog?
Nope, just checked it. Profile photos of authors, thumbnails of individual insight articles, images in the articles - all are loading fine. Except the Trending Articles thumbnails.

Wrichik Basu said:
Nope, just checked it. Profile photos of authors, thumbnails of individual insight articles, images in the articles - all are loading fine. Except the Trending Articles thumbnails.
Can you try in another browser?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you try in another browser?
Can also be a bandwidth problem. The browser sometimes stops download whilst the images aren't done yet.

One bug...

While adding media items, there is an option to delete the entry before saving. That is not working. On clicking it, nothing happens.

1577791638776.png

...and one question:

In PF4, we used to have a widget in the RHS panel that showed recently added videos. Is there any plan to bring that back?

This must must one seriously important article! I just got 38 (thirty-eight) alerts in a row about it! (And I'm not even subscribed to alerts from any media postings.)

@Wrichik Basu added the media item Operating Systems (NPTEL):- Lecture 26: Transcations and lock-free primitives read/write locks - Today, 4:17 AM

DaveC426913 said:
This must must one seriously important article! I just got 38 (thirty-eight) alerts in a row about it! (And I'm not even subscribed to alerts from any media postings.)

@Wrichik Basu added the media item Operating Systems (NPTEL):- Lecture 26: Transcations and lock-free primitives read/write locks - Today, 4:17 AM
That same problem! Even upgrading to PF5 didn't solve it! And mysteriously you are the only person receiving these alerts. Paging @Greg Bernhardt...

Wrichik Basu said:
That same problem! Even upgrading to PF5 didn't solve it! And mysteriously you are the only person receiving these alerts. Paging @Greg Bernhardt...
I wonder if my handle is hard-coded into some .cfg file somewhere on PF's servers... :-p
Wait, what's this? 37,394 individual half-cent deposits into my PayPal account from PF...

Actually, everything's just fine Greg. Nothing to see here...

1577816448079.png

• Haha
Likes phinds
Wrichik Basu said:
@DaveC426913 Did you receive alerts for the 51 videos that I uploaded after the ones you mentioned?
No. At least, not yet.

[ EDIT ] Sunuvagun. Those are all unique uploads! I didn't realize it at first - I thought they were all teh same (they are all the same time: 4:17). Lectures 4 thru 28 are visible in my alerts. Probably more after-the-fold.

DaveC426913 said:
No. At least, not yet.
Problem seems to be exactly same as before. You are getting alerts for only some of the media categories, particularly the ones under Other Science.

Can someone else test by uploading a video to the Computing category in media gallery? I want to see whether only my uploads generate the alerts, or all uploads in those specific categories.

PeroK said:
I'm not sure you can actually see it happening, but when you post the reply, the Latex gets zapped.
Yeah this is a known issue. Not sure on solution at the moment.

Likes Charles Link
Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah this is a known issue. Not sure on solution at the moment.
I'm not 100% certain, but I think it only happens to text included by # #, not by [itex]. Unfortunately - at least on my German keyboard - the sharps doesn't take any time, whereas [itex] needs a lot. Anyway, if true, it should by an important hint for the programmers.