PGRE is a must for international students for Canada?

In summary, Canadian universities are typically more lenient on PGRE scores than American universities, but they are still looking for evidence of a strong physics background.
physicsfreak88
I've recently completed a four year honours undergraduate degree (Mphys-astrophysics) at university of Hertfordshire, UK with 2:1 classification. And I'm planning to apply for MSc/PHD in HEP at a Canadian university. I was wondering if Canadian universities are 'too strict' on PGRE scores? (I'dont have time to take it before the deadline). However, I'm planning to take general GRE test in couple of months. What are your opinions on this issue?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. If they say it's required, it's required.
1B. If they say it's required, and we say "don't worry about it", and they turn you down, don't expect much sympathy from the line, "Well you said it was required - but some guys on the internet said not to worry about it!"

2. Often the department doesn't even see applications that are incomplete. If the school requires it, no PGRE = incomplete.

3. You have poor grades from a low-ranked university, and you want to go to a top ranked school and study one of the most competitive physics branches. You need to take the PGRE, and you need to smoke the PGRE.

Vanadium 50 said:
1. If they say it's required, it's required.
1B. If they say it's required, and we say "don't worry about it", and they turn you down, don't expect much sympathy from the line, "Well you said it was required - but some guys on the internet said not to worry about it!"GRE.
Thanks for the reply. Well, they don't say it's required but recommened. Often because they want to see if we have covered enough physics at our undergraduate level. According to the course structures between two countries, however, I've almost taken all of their relavant undergrad courses plus some grad courses as well.

Some "between the lines" interpretation may be helpful here.

Often in Canada, the GRE is only recommended as opposed to required, because there isn't a lot of variability in the quality of programs and grade "inflation" in Canadian physics programs. That's not to say there isn't any difference, but there's not enough that a GRE is considered mandatory. The reputation of the individual school is often assessed by the committee members. With international applicants, the situation can be different because the people on the admissions committee won't have the same degree of background knowledge about the applicants' schools. So they may not necessarily say that a GRE is required, but that's because they may often have applicants from specific international schools that they are familiar with. At my school the GRE is required for international applicants. Where I was a graduate student, it was "recommended" but all that international applicants I knew had done in. (Both of these schools are Canadian.)

When you contact the schools that you're interested in (you are doing this - right?) this would be a good question for them.

1. What is the PGRE and why is it necessary for international students in Canada?

The PGRE (Physics Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test that measures a student's knowledge and understanding of physics at the undergraduate level. It is required for admission to many graduate programs in physics in Canada, especially for international students, as it serves as a benchmark for evaluating their academic background and potential for success in a Canadian graduate program.

2. Is the PGRE mandatory for all international students in Canada?

While the PGRE is not mandatory for all international students in Canada, it is highly recommended for those applying to graduate programs in physics. Some universities may have specific requirements for international students, so it is best to check with the individual institution to determine if the PGRE is required.

3. Can I substitute other standardized tests for the PGRE?

In some cases, other standardized tests such as the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) or the GRE Physics Subject Test may be accepted in place of the PGRE. However, it is important to check with the specific university to confirm their requirements. It is also worth noting that the PGRE is specifically designed to assess a student's knowledge in physics, while the GRE and GRE Physics Subject Test cover a broader range of subjects.

4. How can I prepare for the PGRE?

There are several ways to prepare for the PGRE, including studying physics concepts and topics, reviewing sample questions and practice tests, and seeking guidance from professors or mentors. Many resources, both online and in print, are available to help students prepare for the exam.

5. Are there any exemptions for the PGRE for international students?

Some universities may offer exemptions for the PGRE for international students who have completed their undergraduate degree in a physics-related field from an accredited institution. However, this is not a common practice and it is best to confirm with the individual university to determine if an exemption is possible.