Calculate pH of Buffer Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter disneychannel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer Ph
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the pH of a buffer solution and provides step-by-step instructions. It is suggested to find the moles of each substance and use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. The final answer is estimated to be 6.18, but it may vary depending on the value used for pKa.
disneychannel
I have no idea how to find the pH of a buffer solution:
Please step by step!
Calculate the pH after 0.020 mol NaOH is added to 1.00 L of:
a mixture containing 0.100 M HONH2 and 0.100 M HONH3Cl

please step by step instruction so I can follow and do other problems on my own! Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
its been a while but don't you just find the moles of each. then find out how many OH or H you have and find the ph like that? or was that not buffer?

i don't believe that's how you do it

Last edited by a moderator:
would the answer be 6.18?

ahhh the henderson hasslebach i remember that one. Yeah you just have to use that equation with the mols of acid and base taht you have.

Depends on what value you have used for pKa. Correct ball park for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I calculate the pH of a buffer?

To calculate the pH of a buffer, you will need to know the initial concentrations of the weak acid and its conjugate base, as well as the equilibrium constant (Ka) of the weak acid. You can then use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, pH = pKa + log([conjugate base]/[weak acid]), to determine the pH.

2. What is the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is an equation used to calculate the pH of a buffer solution. It takes into account the concentration of the weak acid and its conjugate base, as well as the equilibrium constant (Ka) of the weak acid. The equation is pH = pKa + log([conjugate base]/[weak acid]).

3. What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added to it. It is made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base, which can neutralize any added acid or base and maintain the pH of the solution.

4. How do I prepare a buffer solution?

To prepare a buffer solution, you will need to mix a weak acid and its conjugate base in specific proportions. The concentrations of the acid and base will determine the buffering capacity of the solution. You can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the pH of the buffer solution.

5. What factors affect the pH of a buffer solution?

The pH of a buffer solution is affected by the initial concentrations of the weak acid and its conjugate base, as well as the equilibrium constant (Ka) of the weak acid. The pH may also be affected by the addition of acid or base, which can change the concentrations of the acid and base in the solution.