1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Phase change on reflection

1. May 10, 2018 #1
    We know that reflected light undergo a phase shift of π in EXTERNAL REFLECTION but there is no phase shift in INTERNAL REFLECTION . Does this violate Stokes Relation, which states that every reflected beam undergo of phase shift of π ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2018 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Hi and welcome to PF.
    I found this YouTube video which you may find satisfactory. What do you think?

4. May 11, 2018 #3
    This video is useful in understanding of Stokes Relations but not where they are used

5. May 11, 2018 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Yes. It's not in depth but I can't see that Stokes actually contradicts the result of continuity of fields across the boundary.

6. May 11, 2018 #5
    True. But it clashes with what I have studied in Interference in Dielectric Films :

(1.) Phase changes by π in external reflection (i.e. reflection in rarer medium when the reflected ray bounces off the boundary of a denser medium).

(2.) Phase changes by 0 (i.e. NO PHASE CHANGE) in internal reflection (i.e. reflection in denser medium when the reflected ray bounces off the boundary of a rarer medium).

(3.) No phase change in any of refraction.

According to Stokes Relation, point (2.) should be false but according to Interference in Dielectric Films, it should be correct.

7. May 11, 2018 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The phases involved are the result of the change in refractive index in the two directions.
    We can't argue with what you've learned about dielectric films. (I assume you were getting the right story!) so I guess you need to look at what it actually implied by this time reversal notion with rays. Time reversing involves two incident beams, which need to be the same as the emerging beams. Could that be what you are ignoring when you reckon you've found a flaw? My problem is that it all seems OK to me - but that could just be because I haven't thought deeply enough about it. :wink:

8. May 11, 2018 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You might want to look at this lecture notes:

http://web.mit.edu/6.161/www/Basic_Electromagnetics-FT07.pdf

Zz.

9. May 11, 2018 #8
  10. May 11, 2018 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The first two pdf pages appear blank but I can see stuff further down the document.

11. May 11, 2018 #10
    sorry no downward or sideward scrolling is there. Upward scrolling causes the page to reload

12. May 11, 2018 #11

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I can read it all, afaics. Try a different browser, perhaps. I used Safari on the latest OS X.
    Edit: You mentioned sideways scrolling so you are using a mobile, I guess.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted