Does Phase Change on Reflection Violate Stokes Relation?

In summary: In Safari on my desktop, I can't scroll sideways at all.In summary, the first two pages of the pdf appear blank, but further down, there is content. However, there is no sideways scrolling in Safari on the desktop.
tanaygupta2000
We know that reflected light undergo a phase shift of π in EXTERNAL REFLECTION but there is no phase shift in INTERNAL REFLECTION . Does this violate Stokes Relation, which states that every reflected beam undergo of phase shift of π ?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF.
I found this YouTube video which you may find satisfactory. What do you think?

sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome to PF.
I found this YouTube video which you may find satisfactory. What do you think?
This video is useful in understanding of Stokes Relations but not where they are used

tanaygupta2000 said:
This video is useful in understanding of Stokes Relations but not where they are used
Yes. It's not in depth but I can't see that Stokes actually contradicts the result of continuity of fields across the boundary.

sophiecentaur said:
Yes. It's not in depth but I can't see that Stokes actually contradicts the result of continuity of fields across the boundary.
True. But it clashes with what I have studied in Interference in Dielectric Films :

(1.) Phase changes by π in external reflection (i.e. reflection in rarer medium when the reflected ray bounces off the boundary of a denser medium).

(2.) Phase changes by 0 (i.e. NO PHASE CHANGE) in internal reflection (i.e. reflection in denser medium when the reflected ray bounces off the boundary of a rarer medium).

(3.) No phase change in any of refraction.

According to Stokes Relation, point (2.) should be false but according to Interference in Dielectric Films, it should be correct.

[emoji54]

The phases involved are the result of the change in refractive index in the two directions.
tanaygupta2000 said:
True. But it clashes with what I have studied in Interference in Dielectric Films :

(1.) Phase changes by π in external reflection (i.e. reflection in rarer medium when the reflected ray bounces off the boundary of a denser medium).

(2.) Phase changes by 0 (i.e. NO PHASE CHANGE) in internal reflection (i.e. reflection in denser medium when the reflected ray bounces off the boundary of a rarer medium).

According to Stokes Relation, point (2.) should be false but according to Interference in Dielectric Films, it should be correct.

[emoji54]
We can't argue with what you've learned about dielectric films. (I assume you were getting the right story!) so I guess you need to look at what it actually implied by this time reversal notion with rays. Time reversing involves two incident beams, which need to be the same as the emerging beams. Could that be what you are ignoring when you reckon you've found a flaw? My problem is that it all seems OK to me - but that could just be because I haven't thought deeply enough about it. :wink:

tanaygupta2000 said:

[emoji54]

You might want to look at this lecture notes:

http://web.mit.edu/6.161/www/Basic_Electromagnetics-FT07.pdf

Zz.

tanaygupta2000 said:
sorry it is showing error opening in webpage
The first two pdf pages appear blank but I can see stuff further down the document.

sophiecentaur said:
The first two pdf pages appear blank but I can see stuff further down the document.
sorry no downward or sideward scrolling is there. Upward scrolling causes the page to reload

tanaygupta2000 said:
sorry no downward or sideward scrolling is there. Upward scrolling causes the page to reload
I can read it all, afaics. Try a different browser, perhaps. I used Safari on the latest OS X.
Edit: You mentioned sideways scrolling so you are using a mobile, I guess.

Last edited:

What is phase change on reflection?

Phase change on reflection is the phenomenon where the phase of a wave changes when it reflects off of a boundary between two different materials.

What causes phase change on reflection?

The change in phase is caused by the change in the speed of the wave as it travels from one material to another. This change in speed is due to the difference in the optical properties of the two materials, such as their refractive indices.

How does phase change on reflection affect the appearance of objects?

Phase change on reflection can cause objects to appear differently due to the change in the wavelength of the reflected light. This can lead to changes in color, brightness, and even the visibility of certain features on the object.

Can phase change on reflection be controlled?

Yes, phase change on reflection can be controlled by manipulating the properties of the materials involved. For example, using materials with similar refractive indices can minimize the phase change, while using materials with large differences in refractive indices can increase the phase change.

How is phase change on reflection used in everyday life?

Phase change on reflection is used in a variety of everyday applications, such as in mirrors, lenses, and even in the reflective coating on glasses. It is also utilized in technologies such as radar and sonar, where it helps to accurately detect and locate objects.