Phase difference of HeNe laser in Lithium Niobate

Your Name]In summary, the phase difference between the o-wave and e-wave after the analyzer in a setup with a laser focused into a lithium niobate crystal can be described by the phase retardation equation: ε = (2πd/λ)(n(o) - n(e)), where d is the thickness of the crystal, n(o) and n(e) are the refractive indexes for the o-wave and e-wave, respectively, and λ is the wavelength. This equation is commonly used in optics and can help you in your derivation. Good luck with your experiment!
haigie123

Homework Statement

I have a laser focused into a lithium niobate crystal and an analyzer placed after the crystal. The analyzer and laser are cross polarized.
I'm trying to derive the equation that relates the phase difference of the o-wave and e-wave after the analyzer. I know it is dependent on the thickness, d, of the crystal, the birefringent refractive indexes, n(e,o), and wavelength λ (here, 633nm).

Homework Equations

So far I'm aware the waves are split into two, of intensity (Eo/2)cos(wt±ε), where ε is the phase difference and Eo is the amplitude.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried combining the two, then doing the difference of two cosines, but this didn't get me far but I am sure this is the along the right lines... Suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing your experiment and question with us. It sounds like you are working with a very interesting setup. The phase difference between the o-wave and e-wave after the analyzer can be related to the thickness of the crystal, the birefringent refractive indexes, and the wavelength using the following equation:

ε = (2πd/λ)(n(o) - n(e))

Where ε is the phase difference, d is the thickness of the crystal, n(o) and n(e) are the refractive indexes for the o-wave and e-wave, respectively, and λ is the wavelength. This equation is known as the phase retardation equation and is commonly used in optics to describe the phase difference between two waves passing through a birefringent material.

I hope this helps in your derivation. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on anything. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What is the phase difference of a HeNe laser in Lithium Niobate?

The phase difference of a HeNe laser in Lithium Niobate refers to the difference in the phase of the laser beam before and after it passes through a crystal of Lithium Niobate. This difference is caused by the birefringent properties of the crystal, which splits the laser beam into two orthogonal polarization states.

2. How is the phase difference of a HeNe laser in Lithium Niobate measured?

The phase difference of a HeNe laser in Lithium Niobate can be measured using interferometry techniques. A Mach-Zehnder interferometer is commonly used, where the laser beam is split into two paths and recombined to produce interference fringes. The position of the fringes can be used to calculate the phase difference between the two polarization states.

3. What factors affect the phase difference of a HeNe laser in Lithium Niobate?

The phase difference of a HeNe laser in Lithium Niobate can be affected by various factors such as the thickness of the crystal, temperature, and external magnetic or electric fields. These factors can alter the birefringent properties of the crystal and therefore change the phase difference of the laser beam passing through it.

4. Why is the phase difference of a HeNe laser in Lithium Niobate important?

The phase difference of a HeNe laser in Lithium Niobate is important in various applications such as optical communications, optical sensors, and quantum information processing. It can also be used to study the properties of the crystal and its response to external stimuli.

5. How can the phase difference of a HeNe laser in Lithium Niobate be controlled?

The phase difference of a HeNe laser in Lithium Niobate can be controlled by adjusting the properties of the crystal, such as its thickness or temperature. Additionally, external electric or magnetic fields can be applied to the crystal to alter its birefringent properties and therefore change the phase difference of the laser beam passing through it.