Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Phase reversal of reflections

1. Jan 6, 2005 #1
    I know that waves on a string are inverted on reflection from a hard surface. How about light waves and sound waves?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't unserstand what u could possbly mean by 'inverted',but i can tell you that sound and light waves get a phase shift by [itex] \pi [/itex] radians on each reflection.

Daniel.

4. Jan 6, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Light reflecting from a material of higher index of refraction will get phase shifted by [itex]\pi[/itex] radians (thus "inverted"), but light reflecting from a material of lower index of refraction will not get phase shifted.

Sound waves reflecting from a hard surface will get phase shifted by [itex]\pi[/itex] radians.

5. Jan 7, 2005 #4
    Sorry I thought everyone would be familiar with the concept of a phase shift of pi radians as being "inverted"
    however,
    I guess this means that light reflected from a mirror or any object eg. an apple is phase shifted by pi radians?

6. Jan 7, 2005 #5
    Exactly! :-)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook