1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase reversal of reflections

1. Jan 6, 2005 #1
    I know that waves on a string are inverted on reflection from a hard surface. How about light waves and sound waves?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't unserstand what u could possbly mean by 'inverted',but i can tell you that sound and light waves get a phase shift by [itex] \pi [/itex] radians on each reflection.

4. Jan 6, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Light reflecting from a material of higher index of refraction will get phase shifted by [itex]\pi[/itex] radians (thus "inverted"), but light reflecting from a material of lower index of refraction will not get phase shifted.

Sound waves reflecting from a hard surface will get phase shifted by [itex]\pi[/itex] radians.
  5. Jan 7, 2005 #4
    Sorry I thought everyone would be familiar with the concept of a phase shift of pi radians as being "inverted"
    I guess this means that light reflected from a mirror or any object eg. an apple is phase shifted by pi radians?
  6. Jan 7, 2005 #5
    Exactly! :-)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?