Phase Space - does each point have a unique time associated with it?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether each point in a k-dimensional phase space has a unique time associated with it. The group concludes that while there may be intersecting trajectories, each point in the phase space can correspond to an infinite number of t-values. It is also noted that choosing a reference time is different from the existence of periodic solutions.
FrogPad
Phase Space -- does each point have a unique time associated with it?

Hi all,

If I have an autonomous system:

dx/dt=f(x)The k-dimensional state vector x lives in a k-dimensional phase space. Does each point in the k-dimensional phase space have a UNIQUE time associated with it?I don't think it does, and this is why. Let's say we choose some point x0, we can iterate the solution forward using a runge-kutta routine. (I'm going to drop the bold vector notation.) That is we find x1 = O(x0, j), where O() is an operator that evolves the solution (our runge-kutta), and j is the step. In our case we use j=1, so we iterate one time step.

Now, if we let the initial condition x0 exist at time t=0, then when we iterate forward via O() we get x1 which exists at time t=0+1*step. Now, we could just as easily have chosen x0 to exist at time t=100. So it seems to me, that "we" pick a reference time, and tracing out the trajectory returns phase space points from our initial (chosen) reference time!

So is it just that all points in phase space are unique, like we don't have intersecting trajectories? BUT, we could have a point x0 at time t=0, a point x1 at time t=0, x2 at time t=0, etc... where we picked the t=0 point.Could someone explain this to me? I'm trying to read and understand, but I think I'm confusing myself. Thank you!

P.S. Sorry for the sloppy notation. I hope it can be understood.

Physics news on Phys.org

For example, the differential equation
[tex]\frac{d\left(\begin{array}{c}x \\ y\end{array}\left)}{dt}= \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c} x \\ y\end{array}\right)[/tex]
has general solution
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}C_1cos(t)+ C_2sin(t) \\ -C_1sin(t)+ C_2cos(t)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

The trajectories in the xy-plane (phase plane) are circles. Each point corresponds to an infinite number of t-values, differing by multiples of [itex]2\pi[/itex]. In general, a closed path in the phase plane indicates a periodic solution with every point on the path corresponding to infinitely many t-values.

And, of course, there is no "t" on the xy-plane. We can choose the same (x,y) point to correspond to any value of t and see the same trajectory followed for t greater than that starting value.

The fact that we are free to choose "t= 0" as we please in an autonomous equation is quite different from the existence of periodic solutions but I wasn't sure which you meant.

Finally, let me point out that we can have intersecting trajectories where f(x) is 0.

1. What is phase space?

Phase space is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the state of a physical system. It is a multi-dimensional space where each point represents a unique combination of the system's position and momentum at a given time.

2. How is phase space related to time?

In phase space, time is considered as an independent variable, meaning that each point in phase space has a unique time associated with it. This means that the position and momentum of a system can change over time, and the corresponding point in phase space will also change.

3. Does each point in phase space have a unique time associated with it?

Yes, each point in phase space represents a specific moment in time. This is because phase space is a mathematical representation of a physical system, and time is a fundamental aspect of any physical system.

4. How is phase space used in scientific research?

Phase space is used in various scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is particularly useful in studying dynamic systems, such as particles in motion or chemical reactions, as it allows scientists to visualize the behavior of a system over time.

5. Can phase space be used to predict the future of a system?

While phase space provides valuable information about the current state of a system, it does not necessarily predict its future behavior. This is because the evolution of a system in phase space is determined by its underlying physical laws, which may be affected by external factors. However, phase space can still be a useful tool in making predictions and understanding the behavior of complex systems.