Phasor Addition Explained - Wave Physics

• I
  • Thread starter MrsTesla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phasor
In summary, phasor addition, as explained in the Wave Physics lecture notes, can be represented as a geometric progression. This allows for a more elegant and efficient calculation of the contributions of each 'ray'. The terms in the equation can be rewritten in terms of a geometric progression due to the presence of powers of a common term. The use of complex exponential notation, specifically the use of ei, may seem unfamiliar but it is a useful way to represent angles and allows for a clearer understanding of the patterns involved.
MrsTesla
Hello,

In my lecture notes for Wave Physics, I have that phasor addition can be represented as a geometric progression. This is what was said in the lecture (see attachment).
Can anyone explain me why are the mathematical contributions like that? (aka 5.22 in the attachment )
I've been trying to understand but I really don't get it.

phasor.png

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• phasor.png
    phasor.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MrsTesla said:
Hello,

In my lecture notes for Wave Physics, I have that phasor addition can be represented as a geometric progression. This is what was said in the lecture (see attachment).
Can anyone explain me why are the mathematical contributions like that? (aka 5.22 in the attachment )
I've been trying to understand but I really don't get it.

View attachment 234631

Thanks in advance.
The equation just expresses the contributions of each of the 'rays', using complex exponential notation. You can do the calculation using just sin or cos but the mechanics are not as elegant and don't deliver that smart answer. The terms can be expressed in terms of a geometrical progression because they contain powers of a common term. One needs to get used to the way Mathematicians often re-write expressions with different variables to reveal the patterns involved. The sum of a series like that is basic algebra.

Or in finer detail;
upload_2018-11-25_23-55-23.png

• a0 is the energy in the incoming light ray
  • α is the proportion of the light reflected back to the top of the oil film
  • Therefore αa0 is the energy in the first reflected ray
  • The second ray has already been reflected once, so it starts with only the power from the first from the first reflection, or α⋅α⋅a0. Which is α2a0
  • And this sequence continues for the subsequent rays
The e, e2iφ,... indicate a phase shift at each reflection. ei is an alternate way of representing an angle using imaginary numbers. If drawing a graph using x-y co-ordinates, the 'y' axis is replaced with the 'i' axis, with 'i' being √-1.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tom

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-25_23-55-23.png
    upload_2018-11-25_23-55-23.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 299
Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is phasor addition in wave physics?

Phasor addition is a mathematical method used to combine two or more waves that have the same frequency but different amplitudes and phases. It allows us to represent the amplitude and phase of a wave using a single complex number, making mathematical calculations easier.

2. How does phasor addition work?

Phasor addition involves adding the complex numbers representing the individual waves together. This results in a new complex number that represents the combined wave. The amplitude and phase of the combined wave can then be determined from this new complex number.

3. What is the significance of phasor addition in wave physics?

Phasor addition is important in wave physics because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex wave patterns. It simplifies mathematical calculations and helps us visualize the combined wave in a more intuitive way.

4. How is phasor addition used in practical applications?

Phasor addition has many practical applications, particularly in the fields of electronics and signal processing. It is used to analyze and design complex electrical circuits, as well as to understand and manipulate signals in communication systems.

5. Are there any limitations to phasor addition?

Phasor addition is based on the assumption that the waves being combined have the same frequency. Therefore, it is not applicable to waves with different frequencies. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as interference and diffraction, which can affect the behavior of waves in real-life situations.