How Physicists Create Complex Equations - A Mid School Student's Guide

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
In summary, physicists use complex equations to describe the physical world. Equations are made to be as accurate as possible, and if a complex equation is needed then that is just the way it is. Complex equations are often used to explain more complex concepts, such as gravity. However, compared to more common language, the mathematics used in Einstein's equations is actually quite simple. If you are interested in learning more, start with your school algebra and geometry and work your way up to tensor calculus.
adjacent
Gold Member
I am wondering how physicists make such complex equations.I am not a physicist but a mid school student.
Can you give some brief outline of that?

Physics news on Phys.org
adjacent said:
I am wondering how physicists make such complex equations.I am not a physicist but a mid school student.
Can you give some brief outline of that?

I do not understand the question. No one makes complex equations BECAUSE they are complex (and in fact, many equations in physics are NOT complex). Equations are made to describe reality as best we can and if that turns out to require a complex equation then that's just the way it is.

Physicists PREFER simple equations.

my question was
http://http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m28rlsC3HI1r32q38o1_500.jpg
there is one of the pages of einsteins notebooks on attachments
I don't understand even a bit of it .That is why it is complex for me

Attachments

• tn_gallery_1_173_6820.jpg
    tn_gallery_1_173_6820.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 356
Last edited by a moderator:
What its the equation

Well, if you are asking the mechanics of how they do the process of creating long equations, I can only say that they study math.

Like ANYTHING complex, you learn the simple stuff first and move on.

Dumte said:
What its the equation

What difference does it make? I think the OP is asking about complex equations in general rather than so much about this one in particular.

That is, if you give an answer specific to THIS equation, it may not answer the question in general (although it IS likely to show the kind of process that is used)

Then please answer,I want to know

adjacent,
I found a Celtic song I really loved but of course not speaking Celtic I didn't understand a word of it. I finally looked it up and it turned out to be a recitation of the menu at a wedding feast. It was the language that seemed complex to me but was actually expressing simple facts.

The mathematics used in Einsteins equations are complex but it is a complex language to express and predict very precisely and unambiguously the implications of certain simple ideas. However compared to the common language (be it Celtic, French, English or Espranto) used to express the subtleties of marriage, love, food, and life, to express it in multiple ways so that the author can choose the way that best fits into the rhyme and meter of a song or poem, ... compared to that the mathematical language used in Einstein's notebooks is actually quite simple. It is just a foreign language and so like Egyptian hieroglyphs it may look more complex than it actually is.

If you are interested then by all means begin to study that language. Start with your school algebra and geometry.

Will I know all those when I graduate?

adjacent said:
Then please answer,I want to know

The notebook page appears to be a derivation of Einstein's famous gravitation equations, or a part of them. The first line is the rate of change with respect to arbitrary coordinates of a quantity which derives from the stress energy components in space. The stress-energy's physical interpretation is the flow in space-time of the 4 components of energy and vector momentum.

The whole construct with respect to which he is taking a rate of change is a derivative quantity which must be independent of ones choice of coordinate systems for space and time. As such it must under the assumption that the physics doesn't care how we decide to draw coordinates must behave in a certain way.

He then, since the quantity is a product of component quantities expands the rates of change of the whole in terms of components and this gives a relationship between the geometry of the space-time and the presence and motion of matter and energy through it.

The two simple underlying physical principles that go into this derivation are:
General Covariance which is that the physics should not depend on the form we choose to express its component parts, and Einstein's famous Equivalence principle, which is that on a small enough scale so as not to observe any tidal effects, the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of the observer being accelerated.

adjacent said:
Will I know all those when I graduate?

All of what? All of the equations in physics? No, I doubt it, unless you plan on MANY multiple degrees in various aspects of science.

No.I am talking about the way of creating these long and complicated ones like on einstein's notebook

adjacent said:
No.I am talking about the way of creating these long and complicated ones like on einstein's notebook
It's tensor calculus. If you want to write down stuff like that, say via problem sets in textbooks, then you have to build up your knowledge to get up to tensor calculus.

Thank you all!

1. What is the process for creating a complex equation?

The process for creating a complex equation involves several steps. First, the physicist must clearly define the problem they are trying to solve. Then, they use their understanding of mathematical concepts and principles to identify relevant equations and relationships. Next, they manipulate and combine these equations to create a new, more complex equation that accurately represents the problem. Finally, they test and refine the equation to ensure it is accurate and applicable to the problem at hand.

2. How do physicists decide which equations to use?

Physicists use their knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts to identify relevant equations. They also consider the physical properties and relationships of the variables involved in the problem. In some cases, they may need to combine multiple equations to accurately represent the problem. They may also consult with other physicists or refer to textbooks and research papers for guidance.

3. What makes an equation complex?

An equation is considered complex when it involves multiple variables, functions, and operations. It may also be considered complex if it requires advanced mathematical concepts or techniques to solve. Complex equations are often used to model and solve real-world problems that cannot be easily solved using simpler equations.

4. How do physicists test and refine their equations?

Physicists use a variety of methods to test and refine their equations. They may perform experiments, collect data, and compare the results to their equation's predictions. If the results do not match, they may need to adjust the equation or make new assumptions. They may also use computer simulations or mathematical models to test their equations and ensure their accuracy.

5. Can mid school students create complex equations?

While creating complex equations requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and principles, mid school students can certainly learn to create simple equations. By starting with basic equations and gradually building their knowledge and skills, they can eventually work towards creating more complex equations. It is important for students to understand the concepts behind the equations rather than just memorizing them. With practice and guidance, mid school students can develop the skills to create and solve complex equations.