Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photocurrent shot noise correlation function

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1
    Hi

I have stumpled upon the following expression for the correlation function of the photocurrent shot noise for a photodiode
    [tex]
    <\delta i(t)\delta i(t+\tau)> = \frac{e^2\eta}{h\nu}P\delta(\tau)
    [/tex]
    where η is the quantum efficiency and P the power in the signal. δ(τ) denotes the Dirac delta, which makes good sense as shot noise is white noise. However I am unsure of how the prefactor is derived. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Best,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2012 #2
    I can point in a direction. Sorry that I don't have a text editor, but I think you will see what I am getting at.
    {h\nu} is the energy per photon. "P" is the power of the light illuminating the photodiode, which means energy per second. So {h\nu}P is the number of photons per second illuminating the photodiode.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  4. Aug 24, 2012 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, P/(hv) is the photon flux, which equals the number of electrons/sec. The current is therefore eP/(hv). So I think the question from Niles is: why doesn't the expression above have units of {eP/hv}^2?

5. Aug 25, 2012 #4
    Hi

Thanks, that is exactly my question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook