Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectric effect angle

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    hey.. can some one tell me... when photo electrons come out of the metal surface.... then are those emissions normal to the surface or they come out at any angle from the surface.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2
    Wouldn't they come out at any angle? I'm not suggesting I'm correct by the way but from what I know of electrons and quantum mechanics, the emission of photons (or indeed electrons) would be a matter of statistical probability and thus position of emission and direction would not be known. Just a guess, but I can't see how they'd be emitted at precisely the same angle? Probably completely wrong but there you go. If nothing else I'll learn why I am wrong. :smile:
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  4. Mar 25, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is a spread in the angle.

However, in the standard photoelectric effect, you apply a potential to collect all of the photoelectrons, so this spread isn't a factor. In an angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy experiment, though, this angular spread is one of the things that is being measured.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?