Photon emissions from hydrogen

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of different photon emissions that can occur as a hydrogen atom transitions from an excited state of 5 to the ground level. The initial attempt at a solution involved counting and resulted in 10 different emissions, but the person asking the question is looking for a more elegant method or equation. A suggestion to search on Google for terms related to hydrogen emission lines and excitation spectrum is made, and the person asking the question mentions that the question has already been solved on a different thread.
natugnaro
[SOLVED] Photon emissions from hydrogen

Homework Statement

How many different photon emissions can hydrogen atom make going down from excited state 5 to ground level ?

Homework Equations

Thats what I'm lookin for.

The Attempt at a Solution

Simply by counting I got 10 different photon emissions.
But is there some equation for doing this elegantly ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help, or link would be appreciated.

you have, of course. tried google with a bunch of terms like: "hydrogen emission lines series excitation spectrum frequency", etc?

Phred101.2 said:
you have, of course. tried google with a bunch of terms like: "hydrogen emission lines series excitation spectrum frequency", etc?

I'm not sure how a random google search is going to help.

Anyway, this question has already been solved here.

I'm not sure
Of course you aren't, no-one else is either.

I accidentaly posted two threads, then I marked one as solved ... ah
Thanks .

1. What are photon emissions from hydrogen?

Photon emissions from hydrogen refer to the process in which photons, or particles of light, are released when an electron in a hydrogen atom moves from a higher energy level to a lower energy level.

2. How is this process related to the atomic structure of hydrogen?

This process is directly related to the atomic structure of hydrogen, as the energy levels of an atom are determined by the arrangement of its electrons. When an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it releases energy in the form of a photon.

3. What causes hydrogen atoms to emit photons?

Hydrogen atoms emit photons when their electrons are excited to a higher energy level, usually by absorbing energy from an outside source such as heat or light. When the electron returns to its ground state, it releases the excess energy in the form of a photon.

4. What is the significance of studying photon emissions from hydrogen?

Studying photon emissions from hydrogen is important because it helps us understand the behavior of atoms and how they interact with energy. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics and astrophysics, and can also have practical applications in fields like energy production and telecommunications.

5. How do scientists study photon emissions from hydrogen?

Scientists study photon emissions from hydrogen using various methods, such as spectroscopy. This involves analyzing the wavelengths and intensities of the emitted photons to gain information about the energy levels and structure of the atom. Other techniques include electron microscopy and quantum mechanics calculations.