Photons chances of combining with electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transparency in materials and how it relates to the behavior of photons. It is mentioned that transparency occurs when light passes through a material with electrons that cannot absorb the energy of the photons. It is also noted that opaque materials require a compatibility between the energy of the photon and the energy gap of the electrons. The question of why photons do not simply pass through unaffected, similar to neutrinos, is raised and the attraction force between photons and electrons is explored. The conversation references the General Physics forum on the Physics Forums website for further information.
reformist
I am curious about the transparency of some materials to visible light. My physics is patchy and self taught, so I am hoping you can fill in a gap for me, or correct a misconception. So, transparency comes about when the light in question passes through a material with electrons that cannot accept the photons energy to jump to a different energy band (or get bumped from their atoms -photovoltaic effect?) In opaque materials then, there must be a compatability between energy availble from photon and energy gap for the materials electrons. Even if this is not right, I am at peace with this explanation! However, I thought the photon has no electric charge, and is very small. I have read that neutrinos speed through us without reaction constantly, and the properties for attaction to other particles of a photon do not sound too different, so why do they not just pass through unaffected too? How come so many of them manage to hit an electron? What is the attraction force I am not aware of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please start by reading the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=209 in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

1. What is the relationship between photons and electrons?

Photons and electrons are both fundamental particles that make up the building blocks of matter. Photons are particles of light, while electrons have a negative charge and are involved in the formation of chemical bonds. The relationship between photons and electrons is that photons can interact with electrons, causing them to either be absorbed, emitted, or scattered.

2. How do photons and electrons combine?

The combination of photons and electrons occurs through a process called photoionization. In this process, a photon with enough energy collides with an electron, causing it to be ejected from its atom. This results in the formation of a positively charged ion and a free electron.

3. What determines the chances of photons combining with electrons?

The chances of photons combining with electrons depend on several factors, such as the energy and frequency of the photon, the type of material the electrons are in, and the number of electrons present. Higher energy photons are more likely to combine with electrons compared to lower energy ones, and certain materials have a higher probability of interaction with photons.

4. Can photons and electrons combine in any type of material?

Yes, photons and electrons can combine in any type of material, but the chances of interaction may vary. For example, in a gas, the interaction between photons and electrons is less likely compared to a solid material. This is because the electrons in a gas are more spread out and have less chance of colliding with a photon.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding photons' chances of combining with electrons?

Understanding the interaction between photons and electrons is crucial in many areas, such as solar energy, medical imaging, and quantum computing. In solar energy, the conversion of sunlight into electricity relies on the photoionization of electrons. In medical imaging, the interaction between photons and electrons is used to create detailed images of the human body. In quantum computing, the manipulation of photons and electrons is essential for processing and storing information.