Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photons particles or waves

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    I really don't believe that photons can be particles.
    Supposedly the photoelectric effect "proves" they are.
    I believe that electrons are emitted as a result of short-distance penetration of the wave front into the metal, disturbing the bonds. This would also fit the known fact that the frequency of light must be above a certain value or electrons are not emitted. I'm betting that the minimum frequency corresponds to the longest wavelength that can "fit between" the lattice structure.
    Comments please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You need to explain the which-way experiment and the photon antibunching experiment before you settle in to your "belief".

Zz.

4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    Please provide references.

5. Feb 18, 2008 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I've provided references to these many times over on here. You're welcome to do a search in the QM forum (where this should have been posted in the first place). Furthermore, aren't you a bit worried that you are not aware of such experiments, yet you have no problem with making outright statements with such confidence? One normally has to do a lot of "homework" first to make sure one knows everything there is to know out there before proclaiming something.

Example of which way experiment: J.J. Thorn et al. Am. J. Phys. v.72 p.1210 (2004).

Example of antibunching experiment: any single-photon sources paper or H. Paul, Rev. Mod. Phys. v.54, p.1061 (1982).

Example of multiphoton photoemission: K. Giesen et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. v.55, p.300 (1985); W.S. Fann et al., Phys. Rev. B v.44, p.10980 (1991).

Zz.

6. Feb 18, 2008 #5
    I'll take that bet. How much you want to make it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?