Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Photonuclear reaction & Conservation of momentum

1. Sep 27, 2017 #1
    γ+2D ----> 1H + 1n

In this photonuclear reaction, is it possible to write the momentum balance equation as it follows,

MHvH = Mnvn

It somehow seems to wrong to me, since the incoming photon has a certain momentum, which is not taken account in the balance equation.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2017 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your original "equation" is not. The momentum balance is not too clear - what particles are you referring to? The outgoing particles (n and p) have momenta which sum to the momentum of te photon, assuming D is stationary.

4. Sep 27, 2017 #3
    I am sorry about the "+" mark between D and H. just edited it. Both incoming and outgoing particles are in motion. We should consider the momentum of the photon, should not we?

5. Sep 27, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For typical photon energies, the photon momentum is tiny compared to the momenta of the proton and neutron.

6. Sep 28, 2017 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you ignore the photon momentum, the outgoing (n and p) have the same momentum,but in opposite directions.

7. Sep 28, 2017 #6
    Thank you all for answering. I should have thought this before. I have made a rough calculation. There is around eight orders of magnitude difference between the momentum of a photon and a proton with energy of 1 MeV.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted