1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical Interpreation of the Laplace Operator

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    I am wondering if there is a physical interpretation of the Laplace operator (also known as Laplacian, Δ, ∇2, or ∇·∇).

From my impression a gradient of a function is the vector field in the direction with the greatest change. Also a divergence is volume density of flux from a point source.

Can I think of the Laplacian as the volume density of the flux in direction of greatest change from a point source? I am trying to use the identity that the Laplace operator is the divergence of the gradient. I am not sure what I am proposing makes sense. I am a new student to vector calculus so I am trying to understand the physical meaning of these terms. Please correct me if anything that I have stated is incorrect.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2
    I've taken a deeper look into this question and for a scalar Laplacian as in the heat equation, the Laplacian is the divergence of the gradient,

[tex] \nabla^2 T = \nabla \cdot \nabla T [/tex].

But for cases when the function is not a scalar such as in the Navier-Stokes Equation, the Laplacian is the gradient of the divergence of V minus the curl of the curl of V.

[tex] \nabla^2 V = \nabla (\nabla\cdot V) - \nabla \times (\nabla \times V) [/tex].

Can I physically think of the Laplacian as the volume density of the flux (divergence) in direction of greatest change (gradient) from a point source? Is there a physical view available or should I see this as a mathematical construct?

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook