Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical meaning of KdV equation

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    Here is one of the KdV form

u_t + u_x + uu_x + u_{xxx} = 0

Where u is elevation, x is spatial variable, and t is time variable. The first two terms describe the linear water wave, the third term represent the nonlinear effect, and the last term is the dispersion.

From what i understand, the nonlinear term explain the energy focusing that keeps the shape of the wave packet. But, how is u multiplied by u_x represents the energy focusing? For example, like in predator-prey model, the nonlinear term xy explain the interaction between the two species, where x and y are the number of predators and prey respectively.

Also, how does the last term, the third derivative of u with respect to x, explain the dispersion which is the deformation of the waves?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2015 #2
    Sorry, It seems like i accidentally posted it twice, it is because of the low connection.

4. Apr 20, 2015 #3
    Can anybody please help me to understand the physical interpretation of kdv eq.?

5. Apr 23, 2015 #4
    [itex]uu_x = (\frac{1}{2}u^2)_x[/itex]

so it represents convection of kinetic energy. There is a link with the (inviscid) Burgers equation.

6. Apr 23, 2015 #5
    Thank you for replying.
    It gives me some hints to study more.

This is how i understand it. Let u be the elevetion of wave. u^2 represents the interaction of waves which causes energy transfer among the waves. Am I correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook