Physicists DO have a sense of humor

In summary: My google-fu isn't strong enough to come up with a good summary. :(In summary, Holger B. Nielsen and Masao Ninomiya present a backwards causation theory of the cessation of funding for the Superconducting Super Collider. Their model suggests that a wave from the future caused the U.S. Congress to make this decision.
DrChinese
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This appeared this week:

Backward Causation in Complex Action Model --- Superdeterminism and Transactional Interpretations, Holger B. Nielsen, Masao Ninomiya (Submitted on 3 Aug 2010)

"It is shown that the transactional interpretation of quantum mechanics being referred back to Feynman-Wheeler's time reversal symmetric radiation theory has reminiscences to our complex action model. In this complex action model the initial conditions are in principle even calculable. Thus it philosophically points towards superdeterminism, but really the Bell theorem problem is solved in our model of complex action by removing the significance of signals running slower than by light velocity.

Our model as earlier published predicts that LHC should have some failure before reaching to have produced as many Higgs-particles as would have been produced the SSC accelerator. In the present article, we point out that a cardgame involving whether to restrict LHC-running as we have proposed to test our model will under all circumstances be a success. "

Basically, they hypothesize that a backwards wave from the future caused the U.S. Congress to cease funding the Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) in the 1990's. Who says physicists don't have a sense of humor?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of Holger B. Nielsen I would say sarcasm or irony.

Last edited:
DrChinese said:
Basically, they hypothesize that a backwards wave from the future caused the U.S. Congress to cease funding the Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) in the 1990's. Who says physicists don't have a sense of humor?

HAHAHA! These Danish jokers! :rofl:

Holger B. Nielsen is just an "entangled mixture" of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wonderful_Adventures_of_Nils" ! He exist yes, but not for "real", hahaha! ... a bird dropped a baguette on LHC and "God" intervened ... :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
<object width="640" height="385">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZOI8byIV_GI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZOI8byIV_GI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>
</object>

Funny DrC! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
He's quite a character, that's for sure. They should put him on the "The big bang theory" as a nutty professor working with Sheldon. But I suppose people would think he's overacting. :smile:

Fredrik said:
But I suppose people would think he's overacting. :smile:

Why...!:confused:?

(:smile:)

DevilsAvocado said:
HAHAHA! These Danish jokers! :rofl:

Funny DrC! :smile:

DA, You always amaze me with this stuff!

Nielsen is quite a character, very expressive. Apparently he is real, and is respected in his field. Whatever field that is. :biggrin:

The message that I get from his theory is this: theoretical physics without new fundamental ideas is at a dead end. Too often results or quasi-results are announced for political reasons, that is to have funds. Like the Higgs boson that seems to be always behind the door. Too often physicists pretend to impose their view about nature, and not to understand how nature works. He seems to say that in modern physics every kind of theory and its opposite can be possible. So we have theories with n-dimensons, incredible numbers of vacuum states, Calabi-Yau, manyfolds with all shapes, generations of string theories, hidden valleys, many words, many universes, Higgses of any type, particles, sparticles, unparticles, retrocausality, signals faster than the speed of light, action at a distance, Abracadabra of any sorts ... poor Galileo! ... but I think H. B. Nielsen is having a lot of fun about all that.

Last edited:
DrChinese said:
Basically, they hypothesize that a backwards wave from the future caused the U.S. Congress to cease funding the Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) in the 1990's.

Too bad Steven Weinberg didn't reach this result earlier; he could've saved himself a lot of effort!
Perhaps we can send the paper back in time to him?

Last edited:
I attended a talk of him at the Niels Bohr institute last year. It was quite amazing, actually; his voice blew away the people on the first line, and some people in the audience unfamiliar with him were looking around like "what the heck?!" :')

Especially his "There are a lot of problems with my theory, but I have only 20 minutes, so let's ignore these for the moment" was quite brilliant.

DrChinese said:
DA, You always amaze me with this stuff!

It's my pleasure. :wink:

DrChinese said:
Nielsen is quite a character, very expressive. Apparently he is real, and is respected in his field. Whatever field that is. :biggrin:

Corn(y) field? :biggrin:

haushofer said:
Especially his "There are a lot of problems with my theory, but I have only 20 minutes, so let's ignore these for the moment" was quite brilliant.

LOL! This man is a GENIUS! Absolutely brilliant! :rofl:

As we all understand by now; Holger Bech Nielsen is for really real, on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holger_Bech_Nielsen" .

Holger Bech Nielsen has what looks like http://arxiv.org/find/all/1/au:+Nielsen_Holger_Bech/0/1/0/all/0/1" on arXiv.org. :smile:

Maybe the 69 year old professor just wants to have some fun in the end of his career... :rolleyes:

Have you ever been listening his oral presentation?
When you do it the first time, you cannot stop laughing. :rofl:

I don't think Holger is taking these ideas seriously, it didn't seem like it last time I shortly spoke to him at the Niels Bohr Institute. But he IS very respected in his field, he is for example the Nielsen from Nielsen-Olesen vortex (non-Abelian gauge theories), Nielsen-Ninomiya no-go theorem (lattice models) and he was among the first persons to recognize the strings in the Veneziano model. He usually say: "I am one of the fathers of string theory but I am a bad father; I don't believe in my own child"! :biggrin:

What a riot! This Nielsen is priceless! Thanks for sharing DrC & DA.

element4 said:
I don't think Holger is taking these ideas seriously, it didn't seem like it last time I shortly spoke to him at the Niels Bohr Institute. But he IS very respected in his field, he is for example the Nielsen from Nielsen-Olesen vortex (non-Abelian gauge theories), Nielsen-Ninomiya no-go theorem (lattice models) and he was among the first persons to recognize the strings in the Veneziano model. He usually say: "I am one of the fathers of string theory but I am a bad father; I don't believe in my own child"! :biggrin:

I saw him selected to referee a hotly debated scientific dispute on Wikipedia. The other referee selected was Hawking.

But he does make me laff... :smile: You gots to!

Demystifier said:
Have you ever been listening his oral presentation?
When you do it the first time, you cannot stop laughing. :rofl:

Enjoy! :smile:

Holger Bech Nielsen – "CERN and the Anti Miracle"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
<object width="640" height="385">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ODHJcnCneUc&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ODHJcnCneUc&fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed>
</object>

I would call this a "PowerPoint Anti Miracle", have you ever seen overhead on the fly, LOL! :biggrin:

(I can’t type anymore... tears in my eyes... :rofl:)

Gokul43201 said:
What a riot! This Nielsen is priceless! Thanks for sharing DrC & DA.

You're welcome. :wink:

DevilsAvocado said:
I would call this a "PowerPoint Anti Miracle", have you ever seen overhead on the fly, LOL! :biggrin:

(I can’t type anymore... tears in my eyes... :rofl:)

At about 9:00, he starts writing a new slide...during the presentation itself. :biggrin:

DrChinese said:
At about 9:00, he starts writing a new slide...during the presentation itself. :biggrin:

Yeeees pleeeeease, and who says physicists don't have a sense of humor...? :biggrin:

I had the fortune to speak with him for two days and I can assure that he is a wonderful person and in his eyes you can see genial intuitions... I laughed all the time.
PS: He drinks a coffe every 30min.

Halcyon-on said:
PS: He drinks a coffe every 30min.

No...really? I would never have guessed...

Hey, does anyone remember Archimedes/Ludwig Plutonium? You got to laff at that! (And I am not placing Nielsen in the same bucket as Lp).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Likebox/Archimedes_Plutonium

This Plutonium guy seems simply crazy to me. What has he done to deserve a wiki page devoted to him?

Demystifier said:
What has he done to deserve a wiki page devoted to him?

20,000 crazy postings... :rolleyes:

Sure, physicists must have a sense of humour...try answering the question

What is time? http://www.sciblog.org/"

or view You don't like it? by http://youtu.be/iMDTcMD6pOw"

DevilsAvocado said:

oh yes, all the time. you just don't understand, this used to be norm, only with much less interesting lecturers. one of my teachers had bound his jumble of typed and handwritten slides into a book we had to buy instead of a real controls book (he was miffed no publisher would ever take him), circuits, etc... and he would correct these slides on the fly quite often with felt tip pen in hand.

DevilsAvocado said:
20,000 crazy postings... :rolleyes:

i had no idea he was still around. he was a rockstar on Usenet. is Kibo also trolling wiki?

1. How do physicists incorporate humor into their work?

Physicists often use puns, wordplay, and clever analogies to make their research and findings more accessible and engaging to a wider audience. They may also include humorous references or jokes in their presentations or papers.

2. Is humor important in the field of physics?

Yes, humor can play a significant role in the field of physics. It can help to break the ice and create a more relaxed and collaborative atmosphere in research teams. It can also make complex concepts easier to understand and remember.

3. Do physicists have a different type of humor than other people?

While there may be certain types of humor that are more prevalent in the physics community, physicists have a diverse range of humor just like any other group of people. Some may enjoy dry or sarcastic humor, while others may prefer more silly or absurd jokes.

4. Can humor be used to solve scientific problems?

There is no evidence to suggest that humor can directly solve scientific problems. However, a good sense of humor can help scientists to think creatively and approach problems from different angles, leading to potential breakthroughs.

5. Are there any famous physicists known for having a good sense of humor?

Yes, there are many famous physicists known for their sense of humor, including Richard Feynman, Albert Einstein, and Neil deGrasse Tyson. These scientists have used humor to make complex ideas more accessible and to connect with the general public.