1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Physics foundation courses?

1. Nov 13, 2016 #1
    Are there any foundation courses in physics for people who don't have any science background and want to do a masters? I last studied physics, chem, bio, math in high school, and then did a grad and post-grad in journalism. I have been learning through the Khan Academy and other online courses, but would like to get a formal education, without having to spend three to four years on an undergrad if possible. That would turn out to be really expensive. [And apologies for those who might find this repetitive, I did ask a similar question earlier, but I am specifically looking for course/program suggestions this time.]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2016 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The thing is, a formal education in physics IS an undergraduate degree in physics. And that usually requires four years of study. You might be able to knock off a year by getting credit for electives, but in most cases the courses need to be done in sequence for them to make sense, so it's not really practical to condense the courses much further.

4. Nov 13, 2016 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I see from your earlier posts that you're in India. In the US, one could conceivably enroll in a university as a non-degree-seeking student, and take the necessary undergraduate physics and math courses individually. This wouldn't lead to a diploma that says "B.S. in physics", but the courses and your grades would be listed on the academic record (transcript) which has to be submitted anyway when applying for graduate school. In the US, I think this might work, although I don't remember reading about anyone who actually did it this way. I have no idea whether this would work in India or whatever other country you're planning to study in.

As Choppy noted, even if you take only physics and math courses, you'd probably still need three years because of the sequencing of courses and prerequisites.

5. Nov 14, 2016 #4
    That's what I'm hearing from most people, unfortunately. Thanks for your comment! Bests.

6. Nov 14, 2016 #5
    Yes, that's a big problem. Science education is great in India, and I'd much rather study here (so much cheaper!). But there is no real concept of community colleges here.

Thanks for your comment!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted