Help with Physics Homework: Forces

In summary, the WebAssign for homework dealing with forces was very difficult for me. If anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated.
AshTHmcdlManiac
We were given a WebAssign for homework dealing with forces. I got most of the problems, but there were a few I didn't understand at all. If anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated.

1. The helicopter in the drawing is moving horizontally to the right at a constant velocity. The weight of the helicopter is W = 59500 N. The lift force L generated by the rotating blade makes an angle of 21.0° with respect to the vertical. What is the magnitude of the lift force? Determine the magnitude of the air resistance R that opposes the motion.

2. A 85 kg water skier is being pulled at a constant velocity. The horizontal pulling force is 370 N. Find the magnitude of the upward force exerted on the skier by the water.

3. When a 58 g tennis ball is served, it accelerates from rest to a constant speed of 48 m/s. The impact with the racket gives the ball a constant acceleration over a distance of 44 cm. What is the magnitude of the net force acting on the ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. There is no net force on the helicopter since it does not move in the vertical direction and it moves with constant velocity in the horizontal direction. Write two equations (force balances in each relevant axis). You should find that Lsin(21) = R and Lcos(21) = W, which is enough information (combined with what is given) to solve for L and R.

2. Similar problem to the one above. The vertical component of the reaction force on the skis must balance the weight of the skier while the horizontal component must balance the pulling force. The two unknowns in this problem are the magnitude and direction of the reaction force.

3. Have you studied the work-energy theorem yet? If so, use that; if not, use Fnet = ma. Find a using the kinematic data given (hint: v2 = v2o + 2aΔx)

Thank you so much! :-) We haven't studied that theorem yet...the topics we're working on in physics are Newton's Laws of Motion and different Force equations. (Friction, Tension, Gravity, etc.)

1. What are the different types of forces in physics?

There are four fundamental forces in physics: gravity, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Gravity is responsible for the attraction between two objects with mass, while electromagnetic force is responsible for the interaction between electrically charged particles. Strong nuclear force holds the nucleus of an atom together, and weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay.

2. How do I calculate the net force on an object?

To calculate the net force on an object, you need to know the individual forces acting on the object and their directions. The net force is the vector sum of all the forces acting on the object. If the forces are in the same direction, you can simply add them together. If they are in different directions, you need to use vector addition to find the net force.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This is also known as the law of inertia, which means that objects tend to resist changes in their state of motion.

4. How do I calculate the acceleration of an object?

The acceleration of an object can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the object by its mass. This is represented by the equation a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is net force, and m is mass. The unit of acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

5. Can you give an example of an everyday force?

Friction is a common everyday force that we experience. It is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. For example, when you rub your hands together, the friction between them generates heat. Another example is the friction between your shoes and the ground, which allows you to walk or run without slipping.