1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics I Lecture with no Lab, problem?

1. Jul 29, 2010 #1
    At my college, I've found out, there's more Physics I lectures than Physics I labs. 144 spots for Lecture and only 112 spots for Labs. You guessed it, the labs are all filled up.

I'm currently on a waitlist for the Lab. I talked to my advisor and she pretty much said oh well, you can take it next semester if you don't get in this semester.. I seriously don't understand this.

Has anyone else gone through something like this? Will I be hindered in my learning by not taking the Lab while taking the Lecture? It seems to me there's definitely a transfer in my future. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2010 #2
    Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but in my experience, labs have little to nothing to do with what is actually being taught in the course. Which physics course is this for? In my intro mechanics class, the labs were on-topic but absurdly simple. What helps you learn physics at that stage is working problems, not doing inane "experiments" and typing up results.

Let me repeat though: this is just my experience and these were into level classes. I would think for upper level physics courses, the labs are much more helpful.

4. Jul 29, 2010 #3
    It's just a regular Physics I Calc-based.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook