Jill's Sprint After Shopping Cart: Physics Kinematics

In summary, Jill sprints after a shopping cart that rolls downhill with a 3 degree tilt and frictionless wheels. She has a top acceleration of 2.0m/s^2 and catches the cart before it rolls a significant distance. The significance of the 3 degrees is unclear as the acceleration was already given.
oldunion
Jill has just gotten out of her car in the grocery store parking lot. The parking lot is on a hill and is tilted 3 degrees. Fifty meters downhill from Jill, a little old lady let's go of a fully loaded shopping cart. The cart, with frictionless wheels, starts to roll straight downhill. Jill immediately starts to sprint after the cart with her top acceleration of 2.0m/s^2

how far has the cart rolled before jill catches it.

i was thinking having a kinematics equation for both, and then solving one of them for a variable that i could substitute into the other equation...yes?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes time t will be perameter.

mukundpa said:
yes time t will be perameter.

which kinematics equation should i use, and will it be the same for both of them? i can't do much without velocities :confused:

what is the significance of 3 degrees because they already gave us the acceleration, is this the accel of the cart?

solved. thanks

1. What is the definition of kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is the equation for calculating velocity?

The equation for calculating velocity is v = Δx / Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity shows the exact speed and direction of an object at a particular moment.

5. How does friction affect an object's motion?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It can cause an object to slow down or come to a stop. The amount of friction depends on the type of surface the object is moving on and the force pushing the object forward.