Calculating Distance: Jill's Sprint to Catch a Rolling Shopping Cart

• Thread starter dude24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart
In summary, at time t=0 the cart is at (0, 0) and has a acceleration of .513 m/s^2. Jill is located at (0,0) and has an acceleration of 2.0m/s^2. Therefore, at time t=0, Jill will catch up to the cart.
dude24
Jill has just gotten out of her car in the grocery store parking lot. The parking lot is on a hill and is tilted 3^\circ. Fifty meters downhill from Jill, a little old lady let's go of a fully loaded shopping cart. The cart, with frictionless wheels, starts to roll straight downhill. Jill immediately starts to sprint after the cart with her top acceleration of 2.0 m/s^2.

How far has the cart rolled before Jill catches it?

I have no clue about how I should go about answering this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
hm..K think i got it sorta.

first, draw a diagram, draw a line angle'd @ 3*. a point on the top will stand for Jill (I assume she's at the top of the hill o.o) and then 50m below that will be where the cart begins to roll down.

So determine your axe's. what is Jill's location? x=?
Also what acceleration does the cart have? What acceleration is acting on ALL bodies on Earth?

Also since they're at an angle of 3* will that affect their acceleration?

ok...so for the cart acceleration is g * sin (3) = .513
jill's location is at (0,0) and her acceleration shouldn't be factored in with the angle because her top acceleration given is 2 m/s^2 correct?

Edit: again to make it more readable.

Ok so you'll be working with acceleration's down the hill. the cart's acceleration is .513 m/s^2 down the hill. Jill's is 2.0m/s^2.

Now you need to determine when she will catch up to the cart.

So write out 2 equations that describe the location of the cart and Jill at time t.

Last edited:
Can anyone else help me with the equations?

What is 3^/circ meant to read as?

Stevedye56 said:
What is 3^/circ meant to read as?

he meant to say 3 and the little circle that represents degrees.

@dude24: write 2 equations that tell you where Jill is at time t. Do the same for the Cart at time t.

When you get those 2 how can you use them to determine at what time Jill catches the car?

Related to Calculating Distance: Jill's Sprint to Catch a Rolling Shopping Cart

1. How is distance calculated in Jill's sprint?

The distance in Jill's sprint is calculated using the formula d = rt, where d is the distance, r is the speed, and t is the time.

2. What units of measurement are used for distance in this calculation?

The units of measurement used for distance in this calculation can vary, but common units include meters (m) and feet (ft).

3. What is the role of time in calculating distance?

Time is a crucial factor in calculating distance. The amount of time it takes Jill to sprint to the rolling shopping cart determines the distance she covers.

4. Can this calculation be used for situations other than Jill's sprint?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any situation that involves an object moving at a constant speed. It is a fundamental formula in physics and can be applied to various scenarios.

5. How accurate is this calculation in real-life scenarios?

The accuracy of this calculation depends on various factors, such as the precision of the measurements and the assumptions made. In real-life scenarios, there may be external factors that can affect the accuracy, such as wind resistance or uneven terrain. However, this formula provides a good estimate of distance in most situations.