What is the displacement and component analysis of a cat climbing a tree?

In summary, the conversation discusses two physics problems involving displacement and acceleration. The first problem involves a subway train starting from rest and finding its displacement after a given time. The second problem involves a cat climbing a tree and finding the horizontal component of its displacement. The conversation also touches on the use of differentiation and graphing to solve these types of problems.
damombz

Homework Statement

A subway train starting from rest leaves a
station with a constant acceleration. At the
end of 6.27 s, it is moving at 10.4082 m/s.
What is the train’s displacement in the first
4.59591 s of motion?
Answer in units of m​

Physics news on Phys.org
hi damombz, welcome to the physicsforums :) How far have you gotten with the problem so far?

BruceW said:
hi damombz, welcome to the physicsforums :) How far have you gotten with the problem so far?

Thanks for the welcome! I've been stuck on this problem for awhile now, haven't started it yet.

the to approaching this problem is knowing some differentiation. As an example, if you differentiate distance with respect to time, you create a rate of change of distance dependent upon time, more commonly know as velocity (ie miles per hour...). If you differentiate again, you then have distance per unit time squared (or rate of change of velocity) more commonly know as acceleration.

In classical physics, distance can be determined by X(t)=Xo+V(t)+1/2A(t)^2 where Vo is the starting position, V is velocity (the t value cancels out the time variable in the denominator of V, leaving just distance), and the A corresponds to acceleration (with the 1/2 co-efficient as a result of integration, with time square to cancel out the time variable in the denominator

extension of differentiation
If you differentiate the X(t) equation with respect to time you then have a velocity equation in the form of:

V(t)=V+A(t), (all variables have the form of unit distance per unit time)

this should help start you out
Joe

You mean that you've been thinking through some ideas, but you think they are not the right way to do the problem? Well what are your ideas, what equations do you know?

Edit: this is in response to the OP'er, of course.

I just know:
vi = 0
vf = 10.4082 m/s
t = 6.27 s

I don't know what equation(s) to use

damombz said:
I just know:
vi = 0
vf = 10.4082 m/s
t = 6.27 s

I don't know what equation(s) to use

You know the change in velocity and you know the change in x position.

If you graph these, you build a straight line, since acceleration is constant and is the slope of your line Δv/Δx.

Find the equation of this line in y = mx + b form and go from there

EDIT: If you can graph something, always graph it. It's the best way to understand numerical relationships.

Alright thanks! I have another problem that I'm stuck on.

A cat climbs 3 m directly up a tree.
What is the horizontal component of the
cat’s displacement?
Answer in units of m

damombz said:
Alright thanks! I have another problem that I'm stuck on.

A cat climbs 3 m directly up a tree.
What is the horizontal component of the
cat’s displacement?
Answer in units of m

I'll certainly help you with this, but you need to show me what you've tried that didn't work.

What is Physics Mechanics Homework?

Physics Mechanics Homework is a type of assignment that focuses on the study of motion and forces in the physical world. It involves applying mathematical equations and principles to solve problems related to motion, energy, and forces.

Why is Physics Mechanics important?

Physics Mechanics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature that govern the motion of objects. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and robotics.

What are some common topics covered in Physics Mechanics Homework?

Some common topics covered in Physics Mechanics Homework include kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, momentum, and rotational motion. Other topics may include oscillations, gravitation, and fluid mechanics.

What are some strategies for solving Physics Mechanics problems?

Some strategies for solving Physics Mechanics problems include drawing diagrams to visualize the problem, identifying the known and unknown variables, and applying relevant equations to solve for the unknown. It is also important to carefully consider units and use proper mathematical techniques.

How can I improve my understanding of Physics Mechanics?

To improve your understanding of Physics Mechanics, it is important to practice solving problems and applying concepts. You can also seek help from your instructor or classmates, use online resources and textbooks, and engage in hands-on experiments and demonstrations.