Physics momentum problem: units

In summary, at a speed of 4.70m/s, Fred (mass 70.0kg) and Brutus (mass 130kg) both fall to the ground. Fred slides 13.1m while Brutus slides 5.684m.
oldunion
physics momentum problems

Fred (mass 70.0kg) is running with the football at a speed of 4.70m/s when he is met head-on by Brutus (mass 130kg), who is moving at 8.10m/s. Brutus grabs Fred in a tight grip, and they fall to the ground. How far do they slide?
Part A
The coefficient of kinetic friction between football uniforms and Astroturf is 0.290.
Give answer in cm

I got an answerof 13.1m/s=5.684m/s^2(deltaX) so ultimately deltaX=2.3 but what? meters? and could someone remind me of how to go from m to cm again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oldunion said:
Fred (mass 70.0kg) is running with the football at a speed of 4.70m/s when he is met head-on by Brutus (mass 130kg), who is moving at 8.10m/s. Brutus grabs Fred in a tight grip, and they fall to the ground. How far do they slide?
Part A
The coefficient of kinetic friction between football uniforms and Astroturf is 0.290.
Give answer in cm

I got an answerof 13.1m/s=5.684m/s^2(deltaX) so ultimately deltaX=2.3 but what? meters? and could someone remind me of how to go from m to cm again.

to go from metres to centimetres you multiply by 100

since your WHOLE CALCULATION is in metres what do you think the final answer will come out.

well i know it should be meters, but assumptions always get you lost in some corner of physics you don't want to find yourself in. And since i can't find out how to get to meters, i asked here.

Also, another problem is saying 9.8 meters per second per second. this is 9.8m/s^2, correct?

same problem as the 9.8 question: if i have 39.2m^2/s^2+64m/s is the result 103.2m/s?

Last edited:
No. It's a nonsense expression. You've made a mistake in your original question as well, if [itex] \Delta x[/tex] should be a distance (the mistake could just be keeping track of units wrong, of course).

If you're ever doing a physics problem and the units don't work out, it means you've made a mistake.

A girl of mass 60 kilograms springs from a trampoline with an initial upward velocity of 8 meters per second. At height 2 meters above the trampoline, the girl grabs a box of mass 15 kilograms.

For this problem, use 9.8 meters per second per second for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the speed of the girl immediately before she grabs the box?
Express your answer numerically, to two significant figures.

i did 1/2Vf^2+60kg(9.8m/s^2)(2m)=1/2(8m/s)^2 I got this down to Vf^2+588J=16m/s

the units don't jive if they want the answer in m/s

I have absolutely no idea where you get

[tex]\frac{1}{2}v_f^2 + mgh = \frac{1}{2}v_i^2[/tex]

from. Do you perhaps mean to use conservation of energy? In that case, your expression should be in the form

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 + mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2
[/tex]

in which case you will find the units work out perfectly.

i canceled the masses initially, why couldn't you do this?

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 + mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 \Longrightarrow \frac{1}{2}v_f^2 + gh = \frac{1}{2}v_i^2[/tex]

the units will still work fine, of course (how could dividing both sides of an equation with balanced units by the same quantity affect the balance, anyways?).

i find myself in the same place again. vf^2+ 39.2m^2/s^2=64m/s

[tex] \frac{1}{2}v_f^2 + gh = \frac{1}{2}v_i^2[/tex]

[tex]\Longrightarrow v_f^2 + 2\left(9.8\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}^2}\right)(2\mbox{m}) = \left(8\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}}\right)^2[/tex]

[tex]\Longrightarrow v_f^2 = 64\frac{\mbox{m}^2}{\mbox{s}^2} - 39.2\frac{\mbox{m}^2}{\mbox{s}^2} = 24.8 \frac{\mbox{m}^2}{\mbox{s}^2}[/tex]

[tex]\Longrightarrow v_f \approx 5 \frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}}[/tex]

Last edited:
And if you didn't notice, your only error in your last calculation was not realising that [tex]\left(\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}}\right)^2 = \frac{\mbox{m}^2}{\mbox{s}^2}[/tex].

same question, what is maximum height of the girl to two decimal places.

1/2*75kg(4m/s)^2+75kg(9.8m/s^2)Ymax=1/2(60kg)(8m/s)^2+60kg*9.8m/s^2(2m)

got answer of 3.395, i submitted answer of 3.40 which is incorrect.

Anyone?

Last edited:
anyone know an answer?

Related to Physics momentum problem: units

1. What is momentum in physics and how is it measured?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is measured using the formula p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The SI unit for momentum is kilogram meters per second (kg·m/s).

2. How does momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, so it relates to this law by describing how an object will continue moving unless acted upon by a force.

3. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can have a negative value. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen positive direction. For example, if a car is moving west and we choose east as the positive direction, the car's momentum will be negative.

4. How do you calculate the change in momentum?

The change in momentum, also known as impulse, can be calculated using the formula ∆p = F∆t, where ∆p is the change in momentum, F is the force applied, and ∆t is the time interval during which the force was applied. The unit for impulse is also kg·m/s.

5. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that if two objects collide, the sum of their momentums before the collision will be equal to the sum of their momentums after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum and it can be used to predict the outcome of collisions.