Calculating Work and Power in Uniformly Accelerated Motion

I agree that the statement "the cord can withstand mass of 10.0kg" is unclear and could possibly mean the maximum tension the cord can handle before breaking. As for the second question, the calculations for parts a and b seem to be correct. For part c, the instantaneous power would be the work done in a very small amount of time, which would be infinitesimally close to 0. So it would be more accurate to say that the instantaneous power at t=2s is approximately 0W.
pitbull
problem reads:
a ball of mass 0.500kg is attached to the end of a cord 1.50m long, the ball is whirled horizontaly on a friction less table, if the cord can withstand mass of 10.0kg a) what's speed of the ball.

i used Fr = mar = m(v^2/r)

i solved T max = m(v^2/r) *T max -

v = square root Tr/m
= (10.0*1.50m)/0.500kg
= 5.6m/s

now this is the max speed the ball can have before the string breaks, however they asked for the speed not the max it can take before the string breaks ? are these two the same speed = max speed if not can someone show me.

another question:

a 1000kg car accelerates uniformly to speed of 30m/s in it's first 10s find a)work done on car in this time b)avg power delivered c)instantaneous power delivered by engine at t = 2s.

W= Kf-Ki
W= 1/2mvf^2- 1/2mvi^2 = 1/2m(vf^2-vi^2)

a) 450000 Jules

b)P = W/T = 450000/10s = 45000 Watts

c) instantaneous ? how?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question, it is the same.

For the second questions, instantaneus power is the derivative of work or just the cross product between force and velocity.

Hi pitbull,
1)
when dealing with min/max problems, it can be useful to use inequalities:

mv2/r <= Tmax
v <= [squ](Tmaxr/m)

Answer: The speed is equal to or smaller than ...

2)
I think instantaneous means dW/dT (the derivative).

thanks for the response.

so dw/dt would be

4500000/2 = 225000 ?

or is it:

a= vt

= (30m/s)/10s
= 3 m/s

v= at
P= F*v
F= m*a
P= ma(at)
= ma^2*t
(1000)*(3^2)*2
= 18000 W

by the way are part a & b on the second question right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since part (a) does not give angular velocity, it probably means maximum possible velocity- but it's badly stated.

In particular "the cord can withstand mass of 10.0kg " makes no sense to me. What does it mean to say that a cord can withstand a mass?

I would guess that they mean the cord could support the weight of a 10 kg mass- that it's maximum tension would be 98 Newtons.

For the second problem, you will need to find the work done at any instant. The problem tells you that the acceleration is uniform so at any time t (in seconds from the time you begin the acceleration) the speed is (1/2)at2 where a is the acceleration. Since the vehicle attains 30 m/s in 10 s, (1/2)a(100)= 50a= 30 so a= 3/5= 0.6 m/s2 and the velocity at any instant (from t=0 to t= 10) is 0.3 t2. Use that to determine the work done at time t and differentiate to find the instantaneous power.

1. What is a Physics motion problem?

A Physics motion problem is a type of problem that involves the study of the movement of objects and the forces that cause them to move. It requires the use of mathematical equations and principles to analyze the motion of objects in different scenarios.

2. What are the key concepts in Physics motion problems?

The key concepts in Physics motion problems include distance, displacement, speed, velocity, acceleration, and force. These concepts help us to understand and describe the motion of objects and the factors that affect their movement.

3. How do you solve a Physics motion problem?

To solve a Physics motion problem, you need to follow a few steps. First, you need to clearly define the problem and identify the variables involved. Then, use appropriate equations and principles to analyze the motion and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense based on the given conditions.

4. What are some common types of Physics motion problems?

There are various types of Physics motion problems, including kinematics problems, dynamics problems, and circular motion problems. Kinematics problems involve the study of motion without considering the forces involved. Dynamics problems, on the other hand, involve the analysis of motion and the forces that cause it. Circular motion problems deal with the motion of objects in a circular path.

5. How can understanding Physics motion problems be useful?

Understanding Physics motion problems can be useful in many ways. It helps us to explain and predict the behavior of objects in motion, which is relevant in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and sports. It also allows us to understand the fundamental principles of the universe and how they affect the motion of objects in everyday life.