How Do You Solve Dimensional Analysis Problems in Physics?

• Thread starter ][nstigator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the dimensions of viscosity η are kg/ms, the dimensions of momentum are kg*m/s, the dimensions of work are kg*m^2/s^2, and the dimensions of impulse are kg*m/s.
][nstigator
I know nothing bout this stuff, lil help? :P

I have no idea what this means

What are the dimensions of viscosity η if the equation for the force on a sphere moving through liquid is F=6πηrv where r is the radius of the sphere, v is the speed and F is the force?

or this...

Show that the equation for the final velocity of an object undergoing uniform acceleration is dimensionally consistent.
v² = u²+2as

could someone help me out and explain what I need to do for these questions :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what "dimension" means in this context?

no I don't :(

If I ask you what "units" does force have, does that help?

In this context, "dimension" means "units"

force is Newtons or something right?

][nstigator said:
force is Newtons or something right?
Absolutely right!

In this case, try to write "Newtons" in terms of the base type of units "kilograms" "meter" "second"

Also set up what units velocity has in these base units.
Post your work.

velocity is metres/second/second isn't it? ms^-2 ?

][nstigator said:
velocity is metres/second/second isn't it? ms^-2 ?
Nope, that's acceleration".

Velocity measures how far (a length!) you travel over a period (that's a time!).

So, the units of "v" is [tex][v]=\frac{m}{s}[/tex]
Now, the units of force is Newtons, which also can be written as:
[tex][F]=N=kg*\frac{m}{s^{2}}[/tex] (mass times acceleration!)
(I use the bracket notation, say [F], to mean I'm interested in the UNITS of F, not its particular measured value. Okay?)

So, your first equation was:
[tex]F=6\pi\eta{rv}[/tex]
You need to end up with the same type of units on both sides of the equation, so you must have:
[tex][F]=[\eta][r][v][/tex] ([tex]6\pi[/tex] is just a number without dimebsion)
Now, let's fill in:
[tex]kg*\frac{m}{s^{2}}=[\eta]\frac{m^{2}}{s}[/tex]

What units is therefore [tex][\eta][/tex] ?

η= kg (ms)/(s^2*m^2)

is that right?

Yep!
But try simplifying that expression a bit!

Oops!
Just to make it absolutely clear, what you've found, are the DIMENSIONS of [tex]\eta[/tex]
that is [tex][\eta][/tex], not [tex]\eta[/tex] itself..

but that's what I needed to find in the question anyways :P

η= kg*1/ms? is that the simplified one?

what about that other question, how do I do that?

You've got the simplified one correct: [tex][\eta]=\frac{kg}{ms}[/tex]
You have only been asked to find the UNITS, not the numerical value of the viscosity.
(That's just the same as saying that all lengths can be measured in "meters", but that doesn't mean the lengths can't have different values (say, one length is 2meters, another 3meters)

As for your second:
Each term in your equation must have the same dimensions.
You have three "terms:
[tex]v^{2},u^{2},2as[/tex]
I'll leave it to yourself to verify that these three terms have, indeed, the same dimensions.

so that answer for the 1st would be correct considerin what the question is asking?

Im still not sure what I need to do for that second one

v^2 = final velocity
v^2 = (m/s)^2

u^2 = initial velocity
u^2 = (m/s)^2 also

2as = 2*acceleration*distance
2as = 2((m/s^2)*m) = 2(m^2/s^2)

umm, am I way off? or kinda on the right track?

oh wait

its just the terms right
so

as=(m^2/s^2) = (m/s)^2

Looks like you have it figured out. Good job.

yay! thankyou
I got a few other questions, I think I know them, but I don't want to learn how to do something wrong :P

What are the dimensions of
a)momentum (mass x velocity)
b) work (force x displacement)
c) impulse (force x time)

a) p=mv
b) J=Fm
c) I=Ft

is that right?

I'd set out the first problem like this
[itex]
\begin{align*}
\left[v^2\right] &= \rm m^2\, s^{-2} \\
\left[u^2\right] & = \rm m^2\, s^{-2} \\
\left[2as\right] & = \left(\rm m\, s^{-2}\right)(\mathrm{m}) \\
& = \rm m^2\, s^{-2} \\
\intertext{therefore}
\left[u^2 + 2as\right] & = \rm m^2\, s^{-2} \\
& = \left[v^2\right]
\end{align*}
[/itex]

The units of momentum are [itex][p] = \mathrm{kg}\,\mathrm{m}\,\mathrm{s}^{-1}[/itex],the units of work are [itex][W] = \mathrm{N}\,\mathrm{m} = (\mathrm{kg}\,\mathrm{m}\,\mathrm{s}^{-2})(\mathrm{m})=\mathrm{kg}\,\mathrm{m}^{2}\,\mathrm{s}^{-2}[/itex], and the units of impulse are [itex][J] = (\mathrm{kg}\,\mathrm{m}\,\mathrm{s}^{-2})(\mathrm{s}) = \mathrm{kg}\,\mathrm{m}\,\mathrm{s}^{-1} = [p] [/itex].

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves understanding and explaining the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand how the world works. It allows us to make predictions and create new technologies that benefit society. Many modern inventions such as computers, smartphones, and renewable energy sources are a result of advancements in physics.

3. What are the main areas of physics?

The main areas of physics are classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Classical mechanics deals with the motion of objects, electromagnetism studies the interaction between electric and magnetic fields, thermodynamics focuses on energy and heat, quantum mechanics explores the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, and relativity explains the relationship between space and time.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, you can practice solving problems, conduct experiments, and read textbooks and articles on the subject. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to discuss and clarify concepts.

5. How can I apply physics concepts in everyday life?

Physics concepts can be applied in everyday life in various ways. For example, understanding the principles of electricity can help you troubleshoot household appliances, knowledge of mechanics can help you drive a car efficiently, and understanding the properties of light can help you take better photographs. Physics also plays a crucial role in fields such as medicine, engineering, and technology.