Physics of capacitors over frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of capacitors in a low pass RC filter when subjected to an AC source. The mathematical assessment of the frequency response is understood, but the conceptual explanation is what is desired. It is explained that capacitors act as shorts to high frequencies and open circuits at DC due to the displacement current between the plates of the capacitor. The analogy of a highway with a 2-lane bridge is used to illustrate this concept. It is also mentioned that capacitors are storages of energy, and the flow of charges in AC switches direction, resulting in a decrease in voltage at the plates of the capacitor at higher frequencies.
PMASwork
(not sure if this belongs here or in the Electrical Engineering section)

Howdy-

Consider a low pass RC filter subjected to an AC source (i.e the "output" is the capacitor voltage).

I understand mathematically how to assess the frequency reponse of such a circuit.

What I am after is a conceptual description of why. Why do capacitors act as shorts to high frequency and open circuits at DC? I know that the Xc = 1/(jwC) representation shows this mathematically, but I am wondering what is really physically hapening behind the equation.

Applying an AC voltage to a capacitor moves charges from one "plate" of the capacitor to the other, then back. Somehow, if I increase the rate at which I am doing this, the peak-to-peak voltage across the capacitor begins to diminish (and the balance is applied across the series resistor). Why?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well think of it this way, in a city you might have a highway with a 2-lane bridge that everyone needs to take. Eventually the cars will pile up there... kinda like the charges. Let's say traffice is not rush hour, and its going both ways. Well, then there will always be people turning around let's say and start going the other way.

Okay, i know that's a lame analogy but that's the best i could come up with on the spot.

To understand it physically, just look look at Ampere's law. The magnitude of the displacement current is proportional to the time derivative of the electric flux through a surface (that surface would be between the plates of the capacitor, where no "real" current passes through, yet a changing electric field sure does.) So basically increasing the frequency of your AC directly increases the displacement current between the plates of the cap. If you hooked up a DC source, the electric field wouldn't change in time, thereby zero displacement current between the caps (and zero "real" current of course.)

Well, also as you know capacitors are storages of energy. When D.C. is use, positive charges flow in one direction and negative charges flow in the opposite direction. As soon as the capacitor saves all the energy in the electric field between it's plates the process of the charges flowing stops.
When A.C. is use, the same phenomenon takes place, but there is one difference, the flow of charges starts to switch direction discharging the capacitor and then charging the capacitor in the other direction(changing polarity).
If the frequency of the source is change into a higher frequency, the amount of charge storage in the plates is less because the direction of the flow in going to switch faster not allowing the capacitor to get full of energy, having in this way less voltage at the plates of the capacitor. Because q>q' => V=q/C>q'/C=V'.

1. How does the capacitance of a capacitor change with frequency?

The capacitance of a capacitor does not change with frequency. It is a constant value that is determined by the physical characteristics of the capacitor, such as the size and distance between the plates.

2. Can a capacitor store more charge at higher frequencies?

No, the amount of charge that a capacitor can store is not affected by the frequency. However, the rate at which the capacitor can charge and discharge may be affected by the frequency.

3. How does the impedance of a capacitor change with frequency?

The impedance of a capacitor decreases as the frequency increases. This is because at higher frequencies, the capacitor has less time to charge and thus, less charge is stored on the plates, resulting in a lower impedance.

4. How does the phase difference between voltage and current change with frequency in a capacitor?

In a capacitor, the voltage leads the current by 90 degrees at all frequencies. This means that the voltage is at its maximum value when the current is at its zero value, and vice versa. This phase difference remains constant regardless of the frequency.

5. Can a capacitor be used to filter out certain frequencies?

Yes, capacitors can be used to filter out certain frequencies in a circuit. This is done by selecting a capacitor with a specific capacitance value that will have a high impedance at the desired frequency, effectively blocking it from passing through the circuit.