Physics of Particles - something that decays to muons

In summary, the student has made progress in finding a suitable particle that could have decayed into the muon-antimuon pairs. They have used conservation laws and calculated the center-of-mass energy of the possible pairs. They have also asked for help in understanding the different types of particles listed on a data website and have been advised to consider other properties in their search. They have also been encouraged to consult with their TA or professor for further guidance.
Ahmes

Homework Statement

Four particles having the following momenta were found:
___ p4 ----- p3 ----- p2 ----- p1
px: 6.5696, 3.4861, 3.4861, 4.0211
py: 2.5853, 2.4498, 0.1379, 2.5853
pz: 8.6726, 1.8936, 1.8936, 8.6726

All numbers are in GeV. p1 & p2 are muons, p3 & p4 are antimuons. Is it possible that two of these particles came from the decay of one? If so, what particle was it?

Homework Equations

Conservation laws: 4-momentum & various charges (electric, leptonic, baryonic, etc.)

The Attempt at a Solution

As we don't know of any particles with charge ±2, I found the center-of-mass energy of all possible muon-antimuon pairs. From this I saw that either both the 1-4 pair and 2-3 came from two 2215 MeV particles, or that the 1-3 pair came from the decay of a 4340 MeV particle and the 2-4 from a 3080 MeV one.

The problem now is finding particles with suitable masses... The TA sent me to http://www-spires.dur.ac.uk/HEPDATA/PART/ where there are mountains of data. I couldn't find my hands and legs, let alone a neutral 2215 MeV particle that decays to muons. I saw in various lists there particles such as eta(2225), rho(3)(2250), etc. I understand the number in brackets is the mass, but what's the different between those and the ordinary eta and rho particles?

This is the first homework assignment in the introductory course, so I suspect things are simpler than what I imagine. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made some good progress in your attempt to find a suitable particle that could have decayed into the muon-antimuon pairs. Your approach of using conservation laws and calculating the center-of-mass energy of the possible pairs is a good one.

To answer your question about the different particles listed on the website you mentioned, the numbers in brackets indicate the spin of the particle. For example, the eta(2225) has a spin of 0, while the rho(3)(2250) has a spin of 3. This indicates that the particles have different properties and decay modes.

In order to find a suitable particle that can decay into muons, you can also consider the conservation of other properties such as lepton number or strangeness. This may help narrow down the list of possible particles. Additionally, you can also look for particles that have a similar mass to the calculated center-of-mass energy of the muon-antimuon pairs.

I would also recommend consulting with your TA or professor for further guidance and clarification on the assignment. They may be able to provide you with some useful resources or point you in the right direction.

Good luck with your search and keep up the good work in your studies of particle physics!

1. What are muons?

Muons are a type of subatomic particle that are similar to electrons, but with a much greater mass. They are classified as leptons and are considered elementary particles, meaning they cannot be broken down into smaller components.

2. How do particles decay to muons?

Particles can decay to muons through a process called weak interaction. This is a fundamental force in nature that is responsible for radioactive decay and some types of nuclear reactions. During weak interaction, a particle transforms into a muon and a neutrino, which is another type of subatomic particle.

3. What is the significance of studying particles that decay to muons?

Studying particles that decay to muons can provide insights into the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the interactions between them. It can also help us understand the properties of matter and energy, and potentially lead to new discoveries and technological advancements.

4. What are some examples of particles that decay to muons?

Some examples of particles that decay to muons include pions, kaons, and tau particles. These particles are all classified as mesons, which are a type of hadron that is composed of a quark and an antiquark. They have a short lifespan and decay into other particles, including muons.

5. How is the decay of particles to muons measured and observed?

The decay of particles to muons can be measured and observed through experiments using particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. By colliding particles at high speeds, scientists can study the products of these collisions and identify the decay of particles to muons through various detection and measurement techniques.