Physics or Engineering? Job Possibilities in Aerospace Industry

In summary: If you like pure theoretical physics but want to work in the aerospace industry, then become an aerospace or mechanical engineer. I personally am interested in pure mathematics despite being an aerospace engineering major. But I'll leave pure mathematics to be a hobby of mine. I'll buy advanced math books and bug the hell out of PF when I get stuck once I'm done with my engineering degree. I recommend a similar path for you.
Rose53
Hi,

I first started a thread about being interested in aerospace engineering.

Err.. now when I think about it, I think I like pure theoretical physics as well. I was looking at one of the colleges course load for the physics major, and I really wanted to take those classes.

Eventually I want to end up working in the aerospace industry, in either research, design or engineering.

Maybe I'm brainstorming right now, but what are the job possibilities in the aerospace industry with a physics major? Mechanical engineering major? ...Just asking.

-Rose53

Physics news on Phys.org
Rose53 said:
Hi,

I first started a thread about being interested in aerospace engineering.

Err.. now when I think about it, I think I like pure theoretical physics as well. I was looking at one of the colleges course load for the physics major, and I really wanted to take those classes.

Eventually I want to end up working in the aerospace industry, in either research, design or engineering.

Maybe I'm brainstorming right now, but what are the job possibilities in the aerospace industry with a physics major? Mechanical engineering major? ...Just asking.

-Rose53

If you want to end up working in the aerospace industry, then there's really no need to major in physics. They are pretty different degrees, despite some math and physical application overlap. A lot of students at my school do a double major in aerospace and mechanical engineering. There is a *lot* of overlap between those degrees, unlike physics and aerospace.

If you like pure theoretical physics but want to work in the aerospace industry, then become an aerospace or mechanical engineer. I personally am interested in pure mathematics despite being an aerospace engineering major. But I'll leave pure mathematics to be a hobby of mine. I'll buy advanced math books and bug the hell out of PF when I get stuck once I'm done with my engineering degree. I recommend a similar path for you.

Yeah, one thing I learned while working with engineering grad students this summer is that engineering really doesn't exclude theoretical aspects as much as I thought it did. It is true that the majority of engineers don't deal with very much theory, and it's easy to interpret that as "if I become an engineer, I can't do theoretical things." But it turns out that that doesn't mean that you can't do a lot of theory as an engineer, it's just that most people just don't.

nlsherrill said:
If you want to end up working in the aerospace industry, then there's really no need to major in physics. They are pretty different degrees, despite some math and physical application overlap. A lot of students at my school do a double major in aerospace and mechanical engineering. There is a *lot* of overlap between those degrees, unlike physics and aerospace.

Well one of the reasons I asked is because I'm looking into 2 colleges. One offers both aerospace and mechanical eng majors, and the other only offers mechanical eng. Both colleges offer physics.

So there are no jobs in the engineering field with a physics major?

What kind of jobs can you get with a physics major?

Angry Citizen said:
If you like pure theoretical physics but want to work in the aerospace industry, then become an aerospace or mechanical engineer. I personally am interested in pure mathematics despite being an aerospace engineering major. But I'll leave pure mathematics to be a hobby of mine. I'll buy advanced math books and bug the hell out of PF when I get stuck once I'm done with my engineering degree. I recommend a similar path for you.

Hmm ok.. I guess I can seek pure theoretical physics as a hobby and pursue engineering. Makes sense.

Rose53 said:
Well one of the reasons I asked is because I'm looking into 2 colleges. One offers both aerospace and mechanical eng majors, and the other only offers mechanical eng. Both colleges offer physics.

I'm sure a physics graduate could land a job in engineering...but not easier than an engineer could.

There's plenty of threads on this forum about what jobs you can get as a physics major. I wouldn't recommend getting a physics degree if you are planning on not going further than undergraduate though, because you aren't going to get a job remotely related to physics easier than an engineer is(probably)

Rose53 said:

I work for a manufacturing company that designs technologically advanced machinery. My company has both a research department and an engineering department. We work very closely. The engineers curse the researchers for having no practical sense, and the researchers curse the engineers for not putting absurd theory into immediate practice.

Rose53 said:

Yes, there are. The type I mentioned above. You will not be engineering anything, you will be assisting engineers. The education of an engineer covers some very specific points that are of little interest to a physicist.

A physics major can always become a physics teacher. This seems to be the perpetual cycle.

Remember, physics is simply applied mathematics, and engineering is simply applied physics.

1. What kind of job opportunities are available in the aerospace industry for physics or engineering graduates?

There are a variety of job possibilities in the aerospace industry for those with a background in physics or engineering. Some common roles include aerospace engineer, research and development engineer, design engineer, systems engineer, and project manager.

2. Are there any specific skills or qualifications needed for a career in the aerospace industry?

While specific requirements may vary depending on the role and company, most positions in the aerospace industry require a strong foundation in physics and/or engineering principles. Additionally, skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail are highly valued in this field.

3. What is the salary range for jobs in the aerospace industry?

Salaries in the aerospace industry can vary depending on the specific job title, location, and years of experience. However, on average, aerospace engineers can expect to earn a salary of around $116,500 per year, while more specialized roles such as systems engineers or project managers can earn upwards of $150,000 per year.

4. Is it necessary to have a degree in aerospace engineering to work in this industry?

No, while a degree in aerospace engineering is beneficial, it is not always necessary for a career in the aerospace industry. Many roles also accept degrees in other engineering disciplines, such as mechanical or electrical engineering, as long as the individual has relevant skills and experience.

5. What are some potential challenges or obstacles in pursuing a career in the aerospace industry?

One potential challenge is the highly competitive nature of the industry, as there are often more job seekers than available positions. Additionally, the constantly evolving technology and regulations in the aerospace industry may require individuals to continuously update their skills and knowledge in order to stay competitive in the field.