(Physics Ph.D.) Berkeley or Princeton.

In summary, both graduate schools have great reputations and suitable research groups. However, Berkeley has better weather and is a more pleasant city to live in. Princeton has better research opportunities.
christliang
I am now facing a dilemma of making a choice between Berkeley and Princeton. My intended research field is condensed matter experiment, especially topological materials and 2D materials. Both graduate schools have the suitable group for my research of interests. Also, I know both of them have very great reputations.

I know it is odd to get the advice from strangers don't know me well, but it is really important for me to get something other than my understanding of both schools. Because I am an undergraduate from China, I may not know how native Americans consider these two graduate schools.

Hope someone could help me with the decision.

Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both schools are great. Your choice is between research groups. Do you know any of the people?

Also, they are very different environments for living. You should read about them and decide if you'll be better off in one or the other. This should be a factor in your decision, as your happiness in your surroundings is important to your success.

The weather at Berkeley will be a million times better.

QuantumCurt said:
The weather at Berkeley will be a million times better.

But with a disturbing sameness that you won't get at Princeton.

Likes Niflheim
True, but that's a matter of taste I suppose. I'm from northern Illinois. It's 43 degrees right now and it feels incredibly warm compared to the last few months. I could do without that. We've got snow melting, and it's turning into a slushy nightmare right now. I could do without that too...lol

Yes, I am also thinking about the weather condition. I visited Berkeley last year for 5 months, and it is really attracting. In addition, SF is a very nice city which I think is similar to SHANGHAI, my hometown.

The groups of both universities are all of my great interests. In Berkeley the quantum optics group of FENG WANG has a growing reputation these years and really did very good job last year, while in princeton NAI PHUAN ONG's group is a perfect place too.

Could you guys provide me with some information about finding a job related or unrelated to doing research in bay areas and NYC? I think I must take my future development into consideration.

THX!

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats/research experience/other that got you into both of those schools? Any advice for college underclassmen? I hope I'm in your position in a few years.

Alexmer said:
If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats/research experience/other that got you into both of those schools? Any advice for college underclassmen? I hope I'm in your position in a few years.
I am very glad to share my experience with you, but I have to say at first every individual is different. You must find out the most efficient way to get to the position.

I have an average GPA of 3.66/4.0, but I almost get straight A in all physics courses. I have three years undergraduate research experience. In addition, I got the opportunity to have a 5 months exchange program in Berkeley in my junior year. I did quantum optics experiment about 2D materials in FENG WANG's group, which may help me a lot to somewhat enhance my research background. In my home university, my research of interests are mainly about Dirac materials. So far, I have three publications. One 1st author(equal contribution) under 2nd round review in Nature Material, two cooperated papers on Nano letters and ACS nano.

I think different graduate school evaluates applicants in different ways. As far as I know, Berkeley does not really care about your GPA, but it really pays more attention on your major GPA and GRE SUB. Princeton may has the same style as Berkeley. For MIT&Harvard, which I also applied to, they may care about your GPA, especially your grades of MATH & PHYS courses. However,all of these top graduate school lay a great emphasis on your undergraduate research experience.

In brief, you must try your best to keep your GPA at a relative good level. Meanwhile, you should spend more time in the lab. If you can have some publications to proof your research skills, it will be very helpful in your application.

3 publications as an undergrad? That's nuts. Congrats.

When you say Dirac materials, do you mean Dirac semimetals? The reason I ask is because a lot of the recent experimental results in that field have come from Cava's group at Princeton. Princeton overall seems to do a lot of experimental work on TIs and other materials. I don't know about Berkeley's experiment group in that area, but I do know that two of the theorists are very interested in topilogical materials so I would assume there is a good experimental focus on it as well.

I would just visit both schools and see what you think. Talk to a lot of different people to get a good idea of the place. Both are obviously great so I think at this point your personal preference should be a big factor in your decision. I really think it's important that you consider this because you will be most productive if you are happy.

radium said:
When you say Dirac materials, do you mean Dirac semimetals? The reason I ask is because a lot of the recent experimental results in that field have come from Cava's group at Princeton. Princeton overall seems to do a lot of experimental work on TIs and other materials. I don't know about Berkeley's experiment group in that area, but I do know that two of the theorists are very interested in topilogical materials so I would assume there is a good experimental focus on it as well.

I would just visit both schools and see what you think. Talk to a lot of different people to get a good idea of the place. Both are obviously great so I think at this point your personal preference should be a big factor in your decision. I really think it's important that you consider this because you will be most productive if you are happy.

Yes, Dirac semimetals are exactly what I am doing and plan to further. One of my publications under reviewed in Nature Material is about this topic. I do know Princeton is really strong in this field, but I do not know if I will be happy there. Both choices are really appealing to be. Berkeley is always with sunshine and I really love the living style there, as well as it has something I am interested in, while Princeton is good at a topic(a very hot topic in the past few years) which I am really interested in and have a good knowledge of. I know either one is perfect and if I choose any one, I will feel somewhat regret not to choose the other.

I think the only way for me is to have a visit to both universities. Indeed, I am going to attend the open house of both of them, and hope I will figure out the answer then.

1. What are the main differences between the Physics Ph.D. programs at Berkeley and Princeton?

The primary difference between the Physics Ph.D. programs at Berkeley and Princeton is the focus and approach to research. Berkeley has a strong emphasis on experimental physics and hands-on research, while Princeton has a more theoretical and mathematical approach. Additionally, the faculty and resources at each institution may vary, so it's important to research and choose the program that aligns with your research interests and goals.

2. Which program has a better reputation in the field of physics?

Both Berkeley and Princeton have highly reputable physics programs, so it ultimately depends on the specific subfield and research area. Berkeley is known for its strength in experimental physics, while Princeton is renowned for its theoretical physics research. It's best to research the faculty and research areas at both institutions to determine which program aligns with your interests and goals.

3. What opportunities for research and collaborations are available at Berkeley and Princeton?

Both Berkeley and Princeton offer a wide range of research opportunities for physics Ph.D. students. Both institutions have strong collaborations with other universities, national labs, and industry partners. Additionally, students have the opportunity to work with world-renowned faculty and have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a Physics Ph.D. at Berkeley or Princeton?

The length of a Physics Ph.D. program at Berkeley or Princeton varies depending on the student's research progress and individual circumstances. On average, it takes about 5-6 years to complete a Ph.D. in physics. However, some students may finish in less time if they have previous research experience or are working on a theoretical project.

5. What are the career prospects for graduates of the Physics Ph.D. programs at Berkeley and Princeton?

Both Berkeley and Princeton have strong reputations in the field of physics, so graduates from these programs have excellent career prospects. Many graduates go on to work in research positions at universities, national labs, or in industry. Others pursue careers in fields such as data science, finance, or technology. It's important to network and gain experience during your Ph.D. program to enhance your career opportunities after graduation.