Understanding Atom Structure and Radiation: A Guide for Physics Students

• Thread starter DEWANA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Maria Dewana was not in on this day in class and we got some question to answer. Unfortunately, she was not able to answer one of the questions. She is hoping someone can help her. She has not her answer with her, but has her teacher's answer. She asks for help, but is not sure if anyone is available.
DEWANA
HI guys i hope you can help me...
unfortunately i was not in on this day in class and we got some question to answer...and I can not answer this question...i hope some of you can help me...
this are the question:

A) Describe, with the aid of diagrams where it would make your description clearer, the basic structure of an atom.

B) Describe what happens to atoms when they emit alpha (α), beta (ß+ and ß-), and gamma (y) radiation. You will need to say what each type of radiation cosists of and consider the number of protons and neutrons in the atom before and after the emission of radiation. Also, describe the characteristics of each type of radiation.

I hope so much some of you can help me and can answer this terrible question...THANKS SO MUCH! BEST WISHES

MARIA DEWANA

:eek:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please try to formulate answers to both question before asking for assistance. The basic structure of atoms is well known. What is the relationship of the atomic electrons and nucleus.

For the second question, please identify the characteristics of alpha (α), beta (ß+ and ß-), and gamma (y) radiation, and based on that, please identify what one thinks will happen when a nuclear emits such radiation.

One's textbook should be very clear on these questions.

Hi astronuc thanks for the quick answer first!

But the problem is i had already answered the question and my teacher said to me it was wrong... So I need someone they can answer me the above question to see my mistakes! Unfortunately I have not my answer with me... my answer have got my teacher... SO please if someone have the answer for this I am very gratful!
thanks

Maria

How about this, what say you post your current attempt and we'll tell you where your going wrong?

Hi Hootenanny the problem is I have not my answer with me! Mý answer have got my teacher and he said it was wrong...so i don't what was wrong...therefore I ask everyone for helppp...or someone can answer this question...then I can see after the holiday my mistakes...thanks...

DEWANA said:
Hi Hootenanny the problem is I have not my answer with me! Mý answer have got my teacher and he said it was wrong...so i don't what was wrong...therefore I ask everyone for helppp...or someone can answer this question...then I can see after the holiday my mistakes...thanks...
Surely you can remember your answer, or if not, you can attempt the question again?

Hi Hootenanny...sorry I can not remember the what I wrote...sorry...but I think no one is here to help me..:eek:(...

maria

DEWANA said:
Hi Hootenanny...sorry I can not remember the what I wrote...sorry...but I think no one is here to help me..:eek:(...

maria
Then why not attempt the question again? The Forum Guidelines prohibit us from providing Homework Help unless you show that you have attempted the question yourself.
Physics Forums Global Guidelines said:
[...]
Homework Help:
[..] NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.
[...]

Last edited:

1. What is Physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

2. Why is Physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the world around us and enables us to make predictions and develop technologies that improve our lives. It also provides a foundation for other scientific fields and has numerous practical applications in industries such as engineering and medicine.

3. What are the main branches of Physics?

The main branches of Physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. These branches cover a wide range of topics such as motion, energy, forces, electricity and magnetism, and the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic levels.

4. How does Physics relate to everyday life?

Physics relates to everyday life in many ways. It explains the natural phenomena we encounter, such as gravity, light, and sound. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technology, from simple inventions like the wheel to more complex technologies like computers and smartphones.

5. What skills do I need to study Physics?

To study Physics, you need strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in math and science. You should also have a curious and inquisitive mind, and be willing to think creatively and abstractly to understand complex concepts.