1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Dec 21, 2007 #1
    HI guys i hope you can help me...
    unfortunately i was not in on this day in class and we got some question to answer....and I can not answer this question...i hope some of you can help me...
    this are the question:

A) Describe, with the aid of diagrams where it would make your description clearer, the basic structure of an atom.

B) Describe what happens to atoms when they emit alpha (α), beta (ß+ and ß-), and gamma (y) radiation. You will need to say what each type of radiation cosists of and consider the number of protons and neutrons in the atom before and after the emission of radiation. Also, describe the characteristics of each type of radiation.

I hope so much some of you can help me and can answer this terrible question...THANKS SO MUCH!! BEST WISHES

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Please try to formulate answers to both question before asking for assistance. The basic structure of atoms is well known. What is the relationship of the atomic electrons and nucleus.

For the second question, please identify the characteristics of alpha (α), beta (ß+ and ß-), and gamma (y) radiation, and based on that, please identify what one thinks will happen when a nuclear emits such radiation.

One's textbook should be very clear on these questions.
  4. Dec 21, 2007 #3
    Hi astronuc thanks for the quick answer first!!!

But the problem is i had already answered the question and my teacher said to me it was wrong..... So I need someone they can answer me the above question to see my mistakes!!! Unfortunately I have not my answer with me... my answer have got my teacher..... SO please if someone have the answer for this Im very gratful!!!

5. Dec 22, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about this, what say you post your current attempt and we'll tell you where your going wrong?
  6. Dec 22, 2007 #5
    Hi Hootenanny the problem is I have not my answer with me! Mý answer have got my teacher and he said it was wrong....so i dont what was wrong...therefore I ask everyone for helppp....or someone can answer this question...then I can see after the holiday my mistakes....thanks....
  7. Dec 22, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surely you can remember your answer, or if not, you can attempt the question again?
  8. Dec 22, 2007 #7
    Hi Hootenanny...sorry I can not remember the what I wrote...sorry.....but I think no one is here to help me..:eek:(.........

9. Dec 22, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then why not attempt the question again? The Forum Guidelines prohibit us from providing Homework Help unless you show that you have attempted the question yourself.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?