Solve for Echo Time in Saltwater and Air - Physics Problem

• Thread starter bilalsyed25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Are you working on a similar problem? If so, you might want to start a new thread with your question.
bilalsyed25
The Question:
A boat is floating at rest in dense fog near a large cliff. The captain sounds a horn at water level and the sound travels through the salt water (1470 m/s) and the air (340 m/s) simultaneously. The echo in the water takes 0.40s to return. How much additional time will it take the echo in the air to return?

Relevent equations: v=d/t

My answer:
d = v∆t

d = 1470*0.40

d = 588/2 (I checked online for this question, some ppl got different answers due to this part; 558/2 or just 588?)

d = 294m

294/340 = 0.86s

0.86-0.40 = 0.46

Additional time = 0.46s

Physics news on Phys.org
bilalsyed25 said:
d = 588/2 (I checked online for this question, some ppl got different answers due to this part; 558/2 or just 588?)

d = 294m
Realize that the sound must travel to the cliff and back.

bilalsyed25 said:
The Question:
A boat is floating at rest in dense fog near a large cliff. The captain sounds a horn at water level and the sound travels through the salt water (1470 m/s) and the air (340 m/s) simultaneously. The echo in the water takes 0.40s to return. How much additional time will it take the echo in the air to return?

My answer:
d = v∆t

d = 1470*0.40

d = 294m

294/340 = 0.86s

0.86-0.40 = 0.46

Additional time = 0.46s

If something takes ##0.4s## to cover a distance and something else takes an extra ##0.46s## to cover the same distance, then the faster thing must be moving approx twice as fast as the slower thing. Is ##1,470m/s## approx twice ##340 m/s##?

Using this logic can you estimate the answer (approx) in your head?

Okay, The distance from water is 294 . But for time for echo via air to be heard , t: (2*294)/340 ; 1.73 so addirional time is 1.73-0.4; 1.3seconds

bilalsyed25 said:
The Question:

My answer:
d = v∆t

d = 1470*0.40

d = 294m

294/340 = 0.86s

0.86-0.40 = 0.46

Additional time = 0.46s
Why you didnt multiply the distance 294m when finding the time through the air?

Nestory said:
Why you didnt multiply the distance 294m when finding the time through the air?
:welcome:

This thread is three years old and the OP has hopefully graduated by now.

1. What is the purpose of solving for echo time in saltwater and air?

The purpose of solving for echo time in saltwater and air is to understand the physics behind sound propagation in different mediums. This can be useful in various fields such as marine acoustics, underwater communication, and environmental monitoring.

2. How is echo time affected by the medium of propagation?

The echo time is affected by the medium of propagation because sound travels at different speeds in different mediums. In saltwater, sound travels faster than in air due to its higher density and stiffness. This results in a shorter echo time in saltwater compared to air.

3. What are the factors that affect echo time in saltwater and air?

The factors that affect echo time in saltwater and air are the speed of sound in the medium, distance of propagation, and any obstacles or reflections in the path of the sound waves. The speed of sound is influenced by the medium's properties such as density, temperature, and pressure.

4. How do you calculate the echo time in saltwater and air?

The echo time in saltwater and air can be calculated using the formula: echo time = 2 x distance of propagation / speed of sound. The speed of sound in saltwater and air can be determined using the appropriate equations for each medium, taking into account any variations in temperature and pressure.

5. What are the real-world applications of solving for echo time in saltwater and air?

The knowledge of echo time in saltwater and air has various real-world applications. It can be used to determine the depth of the ocean or a water body based on the time taken for sound to travel and return. It is also essential in designing and optimizing sonar systems and underwater communication devices. Additionally, studying echo time in different mediums can provide valuable information about the environment and its conditions.