Help! Solving a Physics Problem - Can You Assist?

• Thread starter suf7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the electric fire dissipates 2 kW and the element's temperature is 1015 C. The mean temperature coefficient of resistance is 1.12 * 10^-6 Ωm.
suf7
Physics Problem!

What do i do with this question?...can sum1 help?

The element of an electric fire consists of 5m of wire of 0.5mm diameter. The resistivity of the wire at 150C is 1.12 * 10^-6 Ωm. When connected to a 240V supply the fire dissipates 2 kW and the temperature of the element is 1015 C. Determine a value for the mean temperature co-efficient of resistance of the wire??

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy dissipation in a wire is:
[tex]P=VI=\frac{V^2}{R}[/tex],
this allows you to get the resistance of the wire at 1015 deg. Celcius.
You can also calculate the resistance of the wire at 150 C, given its length, diameter and resistivity.

Now use the definition of the temperature coeff. of resistance.

Last edited:
sorry, i don't really understand...what do each of the letters in the formula represent?...im new to physics and don't really know what to do.

im still stuck with this?

Read your textbook about this.
They may use different letters, but most of them are applied universally.
'P' is power, measured in Watts
'V' is the potential difference, measured in Volts
'I' is the current, in Amperes.
'R' is resistance, in Ohms.

What I was saying was; the energy dissipated in a wire every second is equal to VI, or V/R^2.

I hope that's what you were asking...

Galileo said:
Read your textbook about this.
They may use different letters, but most of them are applied universally.
'P' is power, measured in Watts
'V' is the potential difference, measured in Volts
'I' is the current, in Amperes.
'R' is resistance, in Ohms.

What I was saying was; the energy dissipated in a wire every second is equal to VI, or V/R^2.

I hope that's what you were asking...

i have tried reading the textbook but it is VERY confusing, it doesn't make any sense??...the formula you have stated, i don't understand where does temperature go into it??

suf7 said:
i have tried reading the textbook but it is VERY confusing, it doesn't make any sense??...the formula you have stated, i don't understand where does temperature go into it??
Nowhere explicitly. (This formula is not in your book?)
But it's the resistance that is a function of temperature.

The idea is: Calculate the resistance of the wire at 150 C, and calculate the resistance of the wire at 1015 C. Then use this to find the average (or mean) temperature coefficient.

Calculating the resistance at 150 C:
Use the formula:
[tex]R=\frac{\rho L}{A}[/tex]
Where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the resistivity, L the length and A the cross sectional area of the wire.

Calculating the resistance at 1015 C:
Use the equation from before (but solve for R):
[tex]R=\frac{V^2}{P}[/tex]

Galileo said:
Nowhere explicitly. (This formula is not in your book?)
But it's the resistance that is a function of temperature.

The idea is: Calculate the resistance of the wire at 150 C, and calculate the resistance of the wire at 1015 C. Then use this to find the average (or mean) temperature coefficient.

Calculating the resistance at 150 C:
Use the formula:
[tex]R=\frac{\rho L}{A}[/tex]
Where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the resistivity, L the length and A the cross sectional area of the wire.

Calculating the resistance at 1015 C:
Use the equation from before (but solve for R):

Ok, but what is the capital P and V^2 in the bottom formula?...im confusing myself?

..maybe you're thinking too hard...
and
[tex]P=\frac{V^2}{R}[/tex]
are one and the same formula. I just wrote it this way since P and V are given in the problem.

Galileo said:
..maybe you're thinking too hard...
and
[tex]P=\frac{V^2}{R}[/tex]
are one and the same formula. I just wrote it this way since P and V are given in the problem.

oh rite...lol... thanks for the help!

Related to Help! Solving a Physics Problem - Can You Assist?

1. How do I approach a difficult physics problem?

When dealing with a challenging physics problem, it is important to first understand the given information and identify what is being asked. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Use relevant equations and principles to solve each part and then combine the solutions to reach the final answer.

2. What is the best way to check my work when solving a physics problem?

The best way to check your work when solving a physics problem is to double check your calculations and make sure you have used the correct units. You can also try plugging your final answer back into the original equation to see if it makes sense. It is also helpful to have someone else look over your work for any errors or miscalculations.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Practice is key to improving your problem-solving skills in physics. Make sure to understand and review the fundamental concepts and equations, and then try solving a variety of problems. You can also try breaking down problems into smaller parts and finding different approaches to solve them.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a physics problem?

If you are stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and review the given information and what is being asked. Try approaching the problem from a different perspective or using a different equation. You can also consult your textbook or seek help from a classmate or teacher.

5. Is there a specific order to solve the different parts of a physics problem?

There is no specific order to solve the different parts of a physics problem, as it will depend on the given information and the approach you choose. However, it is important to make sure all parts are connected and that you understand how each step leads to the final solution.