Airbag Inflation Speed Comparison: Physics Test Question Analysis

• Thread starter john02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining which airbag inflates most quickly based on a physics test question. The answer chosen by one person was D due to insufficient information, but the correct answer was marked A. The group discusses their reasoning and analyzes the graphs provided to come to the conclusion that graph A shows the airbag that inflates the fastest due to the abrupt change in slope.
john02
This is a problem that was on a recent physics test.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3098/airbagin8.jpg

The question is: "Which one inflates most quickly?"
A. Airbag 1
B. Airbag 2
C. Airbag 3
D. Cannot be determined with the information provided.

The answer I chose was D since I thought that there was not enough information provided. However, the correct answer was marked A (apparently under the assumption that the airbag that inflated most quickly was the one one that caused the first decrease in speed). What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would have said A by that same logic.

Hmm, perhaps, I was overanalyzing the question, but I was thinking that .01 seconds is just not enough time to fully inflate an airbag.

Also, in graphs 1 and 3, I thought that the different accelerations as time went on showed that the airbag was still in the process of inflating, thereby producing different forces on the person. The time when the velocity first decreased was probably when the airbag was first launched.

Anybody like to comment? ^^

john02 said:
Hmm, perhaps, I was overanalyzing the question, but I was thinking that .01 seconds is just not enough time to fully inflate an airbag.

Also, in graphs 1 and 3, I thought that the different accelerations as time went on showed that the airbag was still in the process of inflating, thereby producing different forces on the person. The time when the velocity first decreased was probably when the airbag was first launched.

Anybody like to comment? ^^

Acceleration is the derivative of a velocity function. Observe in each graph how the slopes of the graph change over time. Graph A you have an area where the slope of the graph is almost vertical. Graph B, you have slope that is 0 and then is constant. Graph C you have a slowly decreasing slope. Graph A would be the choice then because the slope abruptly changes.

What is the purpose of airbags in cars?

The purpose of airbags in cars is to provide an additional layer of protection for the passengers in case of a collision. They are designed to deploy quickly and provide a cushioning effect to reduce the impact of the crash on the human body.

How do airbags work?

Airbags work by using sensors to detect a collision and then rapidly inflating with gas to create a cushion between the passengers and the hard surfaces of the car. The gas used is typically nitrogen, which is produced by a chemical reaction between sodium azide and potassium nitrate.

What factors determine the effectiveness of airbags?

The effectiveness of airbags depends on various factors such as the speed and angle of impact, the size and weight of the vehicle, and the positioning of the passengers. Additionally, the proper functioning of the sensors and the airbag deployment system is crucial for the effectiveness of airbags.

Can airbags cause injuries?

While airbags are designed to protect passengers, they can also cause injuries if they deploy with too much force or if the passenger is not properly positioned. However, the risk of injury from an airbag is significantly lower than the risk of injury from a collision without an airbag.

How often should airbags be replaced?

Airbags do not typically need to be replaced unless they have been deployed in a collision. However, it is recommended to have an airbag system checked every 10 years to ensure that all components are functioning properly and to replace any parts that may have deteriorated over time.