Physics friction incline question

In summary, the topic of physics friction on an incline involves understanding how the force of gravity affects objects on a slope. Friction plays a key role in slowing down the movement of objects and can be calculated using the coefficient of friction and the normal force. This concept is important in various fields, such as engineering and sports, and is crucial in determining the stability and efficiency of objects on an incline.
Kevin1199959

Homework Statement

Block B on a frictionless table top (1.5kg) is connected by a cord to block A (3.8kg) with friction on an incline of 40degrees above the horizontal.

Block B is being pulled at and angle 15degrees above the horizontal

Block A is moving up the incline at constant velocity.

Find Pulling force (on B at 15degrees), Tension in the cord, Friction and normal forces on A.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=uN

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the X and Y components of block A, and i figured that Wx+Friction=F(on blobk B)

But i don't know how to find the rest.

TY in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

HI Kevin1199959! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a degree: ° :wink:)
Kevin1199959 said:
I found the X and Y components of block A, and i figured that Wx+Friction=F(on blobk B)

(i assume there's a pulley, to keep the cord level?)

You mean Wx+Friction = tension (in the cord)?

ok, so there are four forces on block B: tension, weight, normal reaction force, and pulling force …

draw a free body diagram and solve …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
HI Kevin1199959! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a degree: ° :wink:)(i assume there's a pulley, to keep the cord level?)

You mean Wx+Friction = tension (in the cord)?

ok, so there are four forces on block B: tension, weight, normal reaction force, and pulling force …

draw a free body diagram and solve …

what do you get? :smile:

Lol, Thanks ;)

Umm, as i mentioned, there is a force pulling on block b at 15° above horizontal, and if the system is moving at constant velocity, (a=0) the opposite forces have to be equal. Therefore left (in my case, friction+Wx of block A) = Right (pull at 15° on block B).

If I am right, Tension-Friction-Wx= 0 (ma=0) for block A and Force(15°)-Tension=0(ma=0) for block B

Kevin1199959 said:
Tension-Friction-Wx= 0 (ma=0) for block A and Force(15°)-Tension=0(ma=0) for block B

Yes (if you mean Force*cos15°) …

now put in the values of Wx and Friction and solve. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Yes (if you mean Force*cos15°) …

now put in the values of Wx and Friction and solve. :smile:

Yeah, i didn't mean *15°, i was just saying that it's the force at 15°. Sry :P

But i don't have the value of friction... How can i solve it?

Kevin1199959 said:
But i don't have the value of friction... How can i solve it?

Usual way …

find the normal force, and multiply by µ :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Usual way …

find the normal force, and multiply by :wink:

But i don't have µ, I only have numbers that i gave in my first post...

ooh, I never noticed that! :biggrin:

You'd better call the friction "µ", and get an answer with µ in it. :smile:

(or email the professor … I assume it's a misprint!)

But it was a question on the test lol... Here, i took a picture of the question in case i missed something.

Thx!

Attachments

• 2uiesm8.jpg
    2uiesm8.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 398
hmm … I still think it's misprint! :redface:

tiny-tim said:
hmm … I still think it's misprint! :redface:

It can't be... It was on the test and many people got it right

FAQ: Physics friction incline question

What is the equation for calculating friction on an inclined plane?

The equation for calculating friction on an inclined plane is Ff = μFn, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and Fn is the normal force.

How does the coefficient of friction affect the force of friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth two surfaces are in contact. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance to motion and therefore a greater force of friction on an inclined plane.

Can friction be completely eliminated on an inclined plane?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated on an inclined plane. There will always be some resistance to motion due to the roughness of the surfaces in contact and the force of gravity acting on the object.

How does the angle of incline affect the force of friction on an object?

The force of friction on an object increases as the angle of incline increases. This is because there is a greater component of the object's weight acting parallel to the surface, resulting in a stronger force of friction.

What are some real-life applications of understanding friction on an inclined plane?

Understanding friction on an inclined plane is important in various industries such as construction, transportation, and sports. It helps engineers design structures and vehicles that can safely and efficiently move on inclined surfaces, and it also helps athletes understand how to optimize their movements in sports involving inclined surfaces, such as skiing or skateboarding.