1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics REUs

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    Has anyone heard from any physics REUs?

I applied to the following schools:

UC Davis
    Michigan State
    U of Oklahoma
    U of Washington
    U of Minnesota
    U of Indiana

I haven't heard from any of them and I am starting to get scared. I definitely should have applied to more.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2
    I applied to three math REUs and I just got accepted to George Washington Uni. today. They only gave me till next week Wednesday to make my decision. I haven't heard from the other two.
  4. Mar 9, 2008 #3
    Does the acceptance/rejection come in a letter/e-mail/phone call?
  5. Mar 9, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

In my experience, REU programs like to accept / reject you via email.

Last year, I applied and was accepted into one REU. I was accepted via email about 1 and a half months after I applied (they were very behind schedule I hear).

This year, I applied to a long list of REUs (7 in total), including a few which you listed.
    So far, I have only heard back from one. Cornell was very timely about it; on the appointed day everyone was supposed to get a response I received my rejection via email.

Many of the programs I applied to had deadlines in mid to late February and into early March, so I was not expecting to hear back from them for another couple of weeks.
  6. Mar 9, 2008 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I applied to a good number of REU's (~10) this year. I have heard back from three.

U of Michigan
    Indiana U
    U of Pittsburgh

I'm planing on going to Pitt since I was at that REU last year.

Is this your first time applying to REU's ehrenfest? Are you a sophomore or a junior? Both of these factors can determine how quickly an REU gets back to you. If you are a sophomore, you may have been wait-listed, but that doesn't mean you won't get an offer. The people (usually juniors with previous REU experience) on their first-choice list may have already accepted other positions.

Don't start worrying yet. Last year Pitt was the only REU to accept me and they didn't get back to me until the end of April!

Good luck!
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  7. Mar 9, 2008 #6
    Thank god, I got accepted to the only REU I applied to... (materials science / engineering)
  8. Mar 9, 2008 #7
    They sent me an email.
  9. Mar 10, 2008 #8
    i got accepted by university of toledo today!!! too bad they expect me to accept/reject within 4 days. i've only heard from them and michigan, which rejected me. i applied to about 13 REUs, so I have a tough choice whether to accept toledo or take a chance that at least 1 of the other schools will accept me

btw, my stats werent great: i have a 4.0 gpa, but no prior research experience and my letters of rec werent great
  10. Mar 14, 2008 #9
    I finally got an offer. I'm so happy I won't end up doing manual labor this summer. :smile:
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  11. Mar 14, 2008 #10

Science Advisor

From which program?
  12. Mar 14, 2008 #11
    U of Indiana
  13. Mar 15, 2008 #12
    Man tell me about it! I was in a similar quandry. I got some REU offers this time last month, and all of them gave me one week or less to make a decision. Well that's all fine and good... except for the fact that some of the other ones I applied to don't start reviewing applications until the end of March!
  14. Mar 15, 2008 #13
    I think most REUs will give you the status of your application (wait-listed, already rejected, next in line, etc) early if you e-mail them and ask for it. But a month ago was probably too early even for that as you said.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  15. Mar 15, 2008 #14
    I just recently heard back from Northwestern, Rejected, and am still waiting on WSU Pullman
  16. Mar 17, 2008 #15
    I applied to about 6, and like others here only have heard back from UMichigan. Rejection. :(
  17. Mar 17, 2008 #16

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I had similar problems last month as well. All of the REU's should have a standard date to send out acceptances.
  18. Mar 28, 2008 #17

Anyone hear back from anywhere?
  19. Mar 28, 2008 #18

Science Advisor

Ah, [sigh of relief]…I was accepted.

After receiving 4 rejections, I received word that I was accepted into 1 program, and I am on the short list of another program (which has been holding off sending out acceptances until its funding gets finalized). Still have received no word from a seventh, and final, program I applied to. I’ll tell you which programs once everything gets finalized.
  20. Mar 28, 2008 #19

I got a rejected from Cornell for Math, and UT Knoxville has posted the students that they accepted on the website, but didn't send out rejection letters.

Still waiting from Texas A&M, LSU, BYU, GVSU.

I wasn't expecting to get into Cornell or UT Knoxville since I'm a Freshman, but I applied since there was no reason not to.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  21. Mar 29, 2008 #20
    so far, i've been accepted by toledo and lehigh but rejected by michigan and purdue
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?