How Much Should the Spring Be Compressed to Keep the Mass on Track?

In summary, if the mass is to remain in contact with the track at the top of the loop, centripetal acceleration must be greater than gravity, Ac >= G.
Jamest39

Homework Statement

A 50-gram mass is accelerated from rest be a compressed spring (k = 1800 N/m), sending it on a journey along a frictionless loop-de-loop of radius 0.324 m. What minimum amount of initial compression of the spring is required if the mass is to remain in contact with the track at the top of the loop?

Homework Equations

centripetal acceleration = (v^2)/r
F = ma
F = kx (Hooke's Law)

The Attempt at a Solution

The velocity required at the top of the loop:
v = sqrt( 9.80m/s^2 * 0.324 m) = 1.782 m/s
Since the spring constant k is already known, we'd just need to determine F and use Hooke's Law to solve for x. But I can't figure out how to determine the force required to make push that mass and give it that velocity at the top of the loop.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think about using the potential energy of the spring, 1/2 kx2. That amount should be equal to the kinetic energy for the speed you need added to the gravitational potential energy for a height equal to the diameter of the loop.

steven george said:
I would think about using the potential energy of the spring, 1/2 kx2. That amount should be equal to the kinetic energy for the speed you need added to the gravitational potential energy for a height equal to the diameter of the loop.

So the gravitational potential energy is just mgh = (0.05 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.648m)
But how can I solve for the potential energy of the spring without x (the amount of compression)?

I have looked through your OP and I will show you how to find X. But before I tell you, have you learned popential energy and kinetic energy ? I don't want to write down an answer without your understanding.

And does your homework provide the distance between the spring and the loop - de - loop ( sound like french)

The Vinh said:
And does your homework provide the distance between the spring and the loop - de - loop ( sound like french)

yes, we learned about it, I have the formulas for kinetic and potential energy. And it does not provide any distance, so I guess we can assume it starts right on the circle?

Sound good, in order to let the substance remain contact with the track at the top of loop - de - loop, centripetal acceleration must be greater than gravity, Ac >= G. It means that V^2 = gr.
+) Frame of reference is the ground
+) 1/2V^2 + mg2r = 1/2Vo^2 => Vo^2 = gr + 2g2r
+) you use the conservation of energy: 1/2kx^2 = 1/2mVo^2 => you can find X ( i have to let you do the rest )

For the spring, i choose the original length as frame of reference

The Vinh said:
For the spring, i choose the original length as frame of reference

So then, using those, we would get:
x = sqrt( (10mgr)/k )

Jamest39 said:
So then, using those, we would get:
x = sqrt( (10mgr)/k )
That's right. And are you learning Pascal programming language ? because i saw sqrt()

Oh i am sorry, your answer wasn't right. x = sqrt((5mgr)/k)

Likes Jamest39
The Vinh said:
Oh i am sorry, your answer wasn't right. x = sqrt((5mgr)/k)
Ah, I see. I dropped one of the 1/2 while working through it. Thanks!
And I'm not learning that programming language, that's just how I have to enter in square roots on my online math homework.

Jamest39 said:
Ah, I see. I dropped one of the 1/2 while working through it. Thanks!
And I'm not learning that programming language, that's just how I have to enter in square roots on my online math homework.
I see

Jamest39 said:
So the gravitational potential energy is just mgh = (0.05 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.648m)
But how can I solve for the potential energy of the spring without x (the amount of compression)?

If you know how much potential energy it has at the top, as you have described then just add the kinetic energy for the speed that you have already calculated. That will give you the total amount of energy. All of that energy comes from the potential energy of the spring so the total energy is equal to the elastic potential energy and "x" is the only thing that you don't know in the equation.

What is a "Physics Spring Problem"?

A "Physics Spring Problem" refers to a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the behavior and properties of a spring under different conditions.

What are the key concepts in solving a "Physics Spring Problem"?

The key concepts in solving a "Physics Spring Problem" include Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position; the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring; and the equilibrium position, which is the point at which the spring is at rest.

How do you calculate the force exerted by a spring in a "Physics Spring Problem"?

The force exerted by a spring can be calculated using the formula F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

What are some real-life applications of "Physics Spring Problems"?

"Physics Spring Problems" have many real-life applications, such as in the design of suspension systems in cars, bungee jumping, and shock absorbers in buildings and bridges. They are also used in the development of medical devices, such as prosthetics and braces, as well as in the study of earthquakes and seismic activity.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a "Physics Spring Problem"?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a "Physics Spring Problem" include forgetting to convert units to the correct SI units, neglecting air resistance or friction, and using the wrong formula for the given scenario. It is also important to understand the physical meaning behind the mathematical equations and to check for any sign errors in calculations.