Physics teacher needs help with lab on Newton's laws

In summary, the lab involved setting up two carts, one with a compressed spring and one without, and analyzing their movement after being released. Newton's third law and second law were expected to be demonstrated. However, when a 1 kg mass was added to the cart with the spring, the results did not match the predicted acceleration. This may be due to the force acting for a longer period of time and the impulse-momentum equivalence. Further experimentation is needed to fully understand these observations.
Sam 2002
Hello! I am a high school teacher and I am doing a lab on Newton's laws. I need help interpreting part of the lab because the results did not come out to what the laws would have predicted.

The lab consisted of setting up two carts, one with a spring which can be compressed and one without. The first part of the experiment says the students should depress the spring and put the carts together. When released, they both go opposite ways with the same acceleration. So far so good, Newton's 3rd law tells us there will be an action-reaction pair and the 2nd law tells us that a=F/m.

Next, a 1 kg mass is added to the cart with the spring. Again the spring is compressed, they are put together, and the spring is released. Uh-oh. Now here is the problem. We know that again, there is an action and reaction pair, so the force will be the same on both carts. Since the mass of the second cart is greater, its acceleration will be smaller. But what about the cart with no weight. Correct me if I am wrong, but the acceleration here is again equal to F/m where F = -kx (Hooke's law). The force has not changed, the mass has not changed, so the acceleration should be the same as it was in the first trial. Right? All of my students reported a greater acceleration in the second trial for the cart with no added mass than in the first trial. Also, as the mass on the other cart increased to 2kg, the acceleration on the cart with no mass added increased again. Am I missing something, or are there real world factors that would make account for these observations? I considered conservation of momentum, but this does not change anything as the increase in mass of the first cart should be offset exactly by the decrease in its velocity

Thank you so much if you took the time to read this and reply.

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Sam 2002 said:
Hello! I am a high school teacher and I am doing a lab on Newton's laws. I need help interpreting part of the lab because the results did not come out to what the laws would have predicted.

The lab consisted of setting up two carts, one with a spring which can be compressed and one without. The first part of the experiment says the students should depress the spring and put the carts together. When released, they both go opposite ways with the same acceleration. So far so good, Newton's 3rd law tells us there will be an action-reaction pair and the 2nd law tells us that a=F/m.

Next, a 1 kg mass is added to the cart with the spring. Again the spring is compressed, they are put together, and the spring is released. Uh-oh. Now here is the problem. We know that again, there is an action and reaction pair, so the force will be the same on both carts. Since the mass of the second cart is greater, its acceleration will be smaller. But what about the cart with no weight. Correct me if I am wrong, but the acceleration here is again equal to F/m where F = -kx (Hooke's law). The force has not changed, the mass has not changed, so the acceleration should be the same as it was in the first trial. Right? All of my students reported a greater acceleration in the second trial for the cart with no added mass than in the first trial. Also, as the mass on the other cart increased to 2kg, the acceleration on the cart with no mass added increased again. Am I missing something, or are there real world factors that would make account for these observations? I considered conservation of momentum, but this does not change anything as the increase in mass of the first cart should be offset exactly by the decrease in its velocity

Thank you so much if you took the time to read this and reply.

Peter

Just a thought. The force does not act at a single time. It keeps acting as long as the two objects are in contact. Do you have any way to estimate the amount of time the lower mass cart remains in contact with the spring?

So my intuition tells me that when you increase the mass of cart A, because it accelerates less the other cart remains on contact with the spring for a longer period of time and that ends up creating a larger force on it.
This makes sense if you think of the limit as the mass of cart A goes to infinity. Then basically it's as if cart A is a wall. Try it: connect cart B to the spring connected to a wall and measure its acceleration. It should be even larger than when it was connected to cart A with 2 kg on it.

Thanks! That makes sense. I appreciate the help.

Peter

Like nrged said, the force acts for longer than an instant. As a physics teacher, you should be familiar with the idea the the impulse of a system is equal to the momentum change.
Try applying the equation: [itex]F{\Delta}t={\Delta}mv[/itex]. Let us know how that works.

Yes, that works too. I am of course familiar with the impulse-momentum equlivalency, just an oversight on my part to take it into consideration.

Sam 2002 said:
Thanks! That makes sense. I appreciate the help.

Peter

You are very welcome.
Glad I could help a fellow teacher :smile:

It might seem clearer to your students if you put it this way; the total acceleration in the system remained the same, but is now unevenly distributed. Becuase one cart is now more resistent to acceleration, the other cart gets more of it (you could probably word it better; I ain't no teacher). Then have them measure exactly how much less acceleration the weighted cart undergoes, and see if it isn't exactly (or almost exactly; allowing for friction and what-naught) the same amount as has been added to the other cart. Or you might start with the measurement, and have them figure it out, probably a better learning experience, but might take more time.

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe how objects move. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws relate to everyday life?

Newton's laws can be applied to various situations in everyday life. For example, the first law explains why a book remains at rest on a table until someone picks it up or why a car continues to move forward after the engine is turned off. The second law can be seen when a person pushes a heavy object and it accelerates at a slower rate compared to a lighter object. The third law can be observed when a person jumps off a boat and the boat moves in the opposite direction.

3. What is a lab on Newton's laws typically like?

A lab on Newton's laws usually involves hands-on activities where students can observe and analyze the motion of objects. It may include experiments with different surfaces and objects to demonstrate the effects of friction and mass on motion. Students may also be asked to design their own experiments to test Newton's laws and make predictions based on their knowledge.

4. How can I help my students understand Newton's laws?

One way to help students understand Newton's laws is to provide them with real-life examples and encourage them to think critically about how the laws apply. You can also incorporate visual aids, such as diagrams or videos, to help students visualize the concepts. Encouraging students to ask questions and participate in hands-on activities can also deepen their understanding of the laws.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Newton's laws?

One common misconception is that an object must be in motion for there to be a force acting on it. In reality, an object can experience a force even when it is at rest. Another misconception is that the force applied to an object determines its speed, when in fact it determines its acceleration. Additionally, many people think that Newton's laws only apply to objects on Earth, when they actually apply to all objects in the universe.