1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Physics textbook for undergraduate level, self study

1. Jul 23, 2017 #1
    Hello, I want to learn Physics, starting from mechanics to quantum mechanics and such.
    My brother is a physics student and he uses the University Physics text. This seems to be extremely popular- all my friends have also studied with this text.
    Is this a good book to get and start from page 1 and work my way to the end while doing all the problems?
    Does edition of the book matter at all?
    Any input is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2017 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you referring to the OpenStax books, the book by Young and Freedman, or another book with the same title?

4. Jul 24, 2017 #3
  5. Jul 25, 2017 #4
    I Highly recommend "Physics for scientists and engineers" by Serway | Jewett
    Theory is explained at high level; There are good and many practice problems. Also, you can download/buy solutions book.

6. Jul 26, 2017 #5
    Depends on your math ability. If you have a strong Calculus background. I highly recommend Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics. The author has a very clear and beautiful way of relating everything to first principles. The problems can be hard. The explanations are concise and elegant. It makes going to books such as: KK, Purcell, Griffith, etc, easier. It also serves as a good reference for later courses.

7. Jul 26, 2017 #6
    I forgot to mention. Please supplement Alonso with an easier book. A good book would be an earlier edition of Serway or Giancoli.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted