1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics V Beam Problem

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two identical, uniform beams weighing 260 N each are connected at one end by a frictionless hinge. A light horizontal crossbar attached at the midpoints of the beams maintains an angle of 53.0 ∘ between the beams. The beams are suspended from the ceiling by vertical wires such that they form a "V", as shown in the figure

What force does the crossbar exert on each beam?

What is the magnitude of the force that the hinge at point A exerts on each beam?

What is the direction of the force that the hinge at point A exerts on the right-hand beam?

What is the direction of the force that the hinge at point A exerts on the left-hand beam?

2. Relevant equations

Ʃτ = 0
    ƩF = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried to sum the torques and solve for the force of the bar however I end up getting a fraction with a zero numerator. I don't really know how to "see" this problem even after drawing it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi djMan! welcome to pf! :smile:
    shouldn't do :confused:

show us your full calculations :smile:

4. Nov 28, 2013 #3
    Ok,

Let L = length
    T = tension of each wire
    Fbar = force exerted by bar

Well what I have so far is:

Net torque about hinge = Tsin(153.5)L - Fbar * sin(63.5)L/2 - Tsin(153.5)L + L/2*Fbar*sin(63.5) = 0

And I get a zero each time I try to solve for Fbar

5. Nov 28, 2013 #4
    Hi everyone, I actually found out how to do this problem. Given the fact that everything is in equilibrium I can cut the "V" in half and look at each side using torque. Then I can solve for Fbar without getting a zero for an answer. Lol mastering physics...

6. Nov 29, 2013 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi djMan! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
    yes …

as you've probably realised, if you're finding a tension, you have to "cut in half" the thing with the tension before you do your free body diagram, otherwise the tension occurs twice, as a pair of internal forces, which of course add to 0 :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted