How Do Forces Interact in a Frictionless Hinged V-Beam System?

In summary, the two beams are connected at one end by a frictionless hinge, and a light horizontal crossbar is attached at the midpoints of the beams. The beams are suspended from the ceiling by vertical wires such that they form a "V". The force exerted by the crossbar on each beam is calculated to be zero.
djMan

Homework Statement

Two identical, uniform beams weighing 260 N each are connected at one end by a frictionless hinge. A light horizontal crossbar attached at the midpoints of the beams maintains an angle of 53.0 ∘ between the beams. The beams are suspended from the ceiling by vertical wires such that they form a "V", as shown in the figureWhat force does the crossbar exert on each beam?What is the magnitude of the force that the hinge at point A exerts on each beam?What is the direction of the force that the hinge at point A exerts on the right-hand beam?What is the direction of the force that the hinge at point A exerts on the left-hand beam?

Homework Equations

Ʃτ = 0
ƩF = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to sum the torques and solve for the force of the bar however I end up getting a fraction with a zero numerator. I don't really know how to "see" this problem even after drawing it.

Attachments

• YF-11-56.jpg
    YF-11-56.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 808
Physics news on Phys.org
hi djMan! welcome to pf! :smile:
djMan said:
I have tried to sum the torques and solve for the force of the bar however I end up getting a fraction with a zero numerator.

shouldn't do :confused:

show us your full calculations :smile:

Ok,

Let L = length
T = tension of each wire
Fbar = force exerted by bar

Well what I have so far is:

Net torque about hinge = Tsin(153.5)L - Fbar * sin(63.5)L/2 - Tsin(153.5)L + L/2*Fbar*sin(63.5) = 0

And I get a zero each time I try to solve for Fbar

Hi everyone, I actually found out how to do this problem. Given the fact that everything is in equilibrium I can cut the "V" in half and look at each side using torque. Then I can solve for Fbar without getting a zero for an answer. Lol mastering physics...

hi djMan! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
djMan said:
Given the fact that everything is in equilibrium I can cut the "V" in half …

yes …

as you've probably realized, if you're finding a tension, you have to "cut in half" the thing with the tension before you do your free body diagram, otherwise the tension occurs twice, as a pair of internal forces, which of course add to 0 :wink:

What is the "Physics V Beam Problem"?

The "Physics V Beam Problem" is a common problem in physics that involves calculating the forces acting on a horizontal beam that is supported by two vertical beams, also known as columns. It is often used as an introductory problem in mechanics courses.

What are the key equations used to solve the "Physics V Beam Problem"?

The primary equations used to solve the "Physics V Beam Problem" are the equations of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on a body must equal zero, and the equations of moment equilibrium, which state that the sum of all moments acting on a body must equal zero.

How do you determine the reactions at the supports in the "Physics V Beam Problem"?

To determine the reactions at the supports, you must set up and solve a system of equations using the equations of static and moment equilibrium. This will allow you to find the unknown forces and moments at each support.

What are the common assumptions made when solving the "Physics V Beam Problem"?

Some common assumptions made when solving the "Physics V Beam Problem" include assuming that the beam is perfectly straight, that the supports are rigid and fixed, and that the beam is under static loading conditions (i.e. no external forces or motion).

What are some real-world applications of the "Physics V Beam Problem"?

The "Physics V Beam Problem" has many real-world applications, including determining the stability of bridges, cranes, and other structures that use beams for support. It is also used in the design and analysis of mechanical systems, such as in the aviation and automotive industries.