Is Physicsforums Crackpot Bingo a Fun Way to Spot Suspected Crackpots?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crackpot
In summary, the user claims that someone more knowledgeable than they are is not a real scientist, and that they are the next Einstein. They also claim that the user is not a crackpot, and that they completed the corners of the bingo card.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Is there a suspected crackpot somewhere, then it's time to play bingo!
Check the crackpot post if something in the below table occurs and then mark the corresponding square. The first to form a row, a column or all four corners wins!

PFcrackpotbingo.gif

:biggrin:

Likes ComplexVar89
Physics news on Phys.org
LOL! Good one!

BINGO!

What do I win?

Pengwuino said:
BINGO!

What do I win?

You win a crackpot that you can pet. :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:
BINGO!

What do I win?
It's not fair counting your own posts!

Just kidding!

Likes CalcNerd
evo said:
it's not fair counting your own posts!

Just kidding!

nazi!

Excellent jt!

I find it odd that you guys actively make fun of and call people crackpots yet all hell breaks loose when you call someone ignorant.

My favorite "new theories" that come through here are the ones that are explained through colorful but incomprehensible pictures and diagrams. A picture is worth a thousand words- and sometimes a whole bunch of equations, too.

I think I almost completed the corners. :smile:

Mod is nazi... check
3 exclamation marks... check
Signature with 3 theories that are not explained... check
The time spent on those theories is not mentioned yet...

Errr... Pengwuino, how much time did you spend thinking up your signature? o:)

I'm no crackpot, but I checked each square just to make sure. It turns out that I am 20% of a crackpot in 4 different ways.

Isn't Einstien spelled wrong in 2,2?

No, the card is right. It is spelled Einstein.

Ivan92 said:
No, the card is right. It is spelled Einstein.

That's the point :wink: The card would be better if it is spelled Einstien :biggrin:

micromass said:
That's the point :wink: The card would be better if it is spelled Einstien :biggrin:
No it wouldn't. A. Einstien really was wrong and everyone did laugh at him. His theory of phlogiston powered anti-photons would have been universally rejected if only it were more widely known.

hahaha the "be open minded" thing happens *all the time*! It usually goes something like "you have been taught to conform only to the western way of thinking! open your mind!"

zomgwtf said:
I find it odd that you guys actively make fun of and call people crackpots yet all hell breaks loose when you call someone ignorant.

Ignorance is okay. Claiming you're right contrary to mainstream science and breaking forum rules is not.

I like Serena said:
I think I almost completed the corners. :smile:

Mod is nazi... check
3 exclamation marks... check
Signature with 3 theories that are not explained... check
The time spent on those theories is not mentioned yet...

Errr... Pengwuino, how much time did you spend thinking up your signature? o:)

Stop oppressing me! IM THE NEXT FEYNMEN!

wisvuze said:
hahaha the "be open minded" thing happens *all the time*! It usually goes something like "you have been taught to conform only to the western way of thinking! open your mind!"

Yes, it's funny that people call us open minded when they're the ones entirely closed minded to that idea that they could be wrong or that we demand some actual math to back up what they're saying.

Oh and Einstein was a patent clerk, ergo, said crackpot who works at Starbucks and has a 10th grade education is the next Einstein.

I don't get (5.4). Is it some math crackpot thing like the guy who invented base 12 to solve the world hunger problem caused by the inherent difficulty of dividing wealth in base 10.

1. What is "Physicsforums Crackpot Bingo"?

Physicsforums Crackpot Bingo is a game that was created by members of the online physics community to poke fun at common misconceptions and pseudoscientific claims. It is a bingo card filled with phrases and ideas commonly used by crackpot theorists.

2. How do you play "Physicsforums Crackpot Bingo"?

To play, you simply print out a bingo card and mark off any phrases or ideas that are mentioned by someone in a discussion or presentation. The first person to get five in a row wins.

3. Is "Physicsforums Crackpot Bingo" meant to be taken seriously?

No, it is meant to be a lighthearted way to point out common flaws in crackpot theories and pseudoscience. It is not meant to discredit legitimate scientific discussions or ideas.

4. Are there any specific rules for "Physicsforums Crackpot Bingo"?

There are no official rules, but it is generally agreed upon that the phrases or ideas must be used seriously by the person speaking or presenting. Simply mentioning them for the purpose of the game does not count.

5. Can "Physicsforums Crackpot Bingo" be used in a classroom or educational setting?

Yes, it can be a fun way to engage students and prompt critical thinking about scientific concepts and claims. However, it should be used with caution and sensitivity, as to not discourage genuine scientific curiosity and questioning.