Choosing College Classes: Deciding Between Calculus and Linear Algebra for CS

• Thread starter Chromium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, The speaker recently enrolled in college and discovered that they need to take a pre-calculus placement test before being allowed to take calculus. They are currently enrolled in linear algebra but are unsure if they should take the placement test to go into calculus. They ask if it is necessary to start in calculus or if linear algebra is important in computer science. Another person advises them to take all the math classes they can and not to worry about the relevance in the future.
Chromium
Hey everyone,

I recently went to enroll for classes for my first quarter of college. However, I have a bit of a dilemma (or so I think). When I left high school I assumed the university would see on my final transcript that I took pre-calculus (I got a B+), and that I would be allowed to take calculus. As it turns out, the school requires that I take a pre-calculus placement test before I'm allowed to go directly into calculus. So for the moment, I am currently enrolled in a linear algebra class. I think I should just take the test so I can go into calculus, but then again I'm not 100% sure what I should do. My questions are:

Is it absolutely necessary that I start out in calculus, or can I just start in linear algebra?

Is linear algebra even that important in CS?

Thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
uhh, I don't know what you mean by CS... but if you are taking physics 1 I think you will need calculus, btw I recently took a calculus placement exam (for NYU)... it was all trig and algebra, easy as pie...

Sorry about that, by CS I meant computer science. I'm a computer science major.

Chromium said:
Is linear algebra even that important in CS?
Is calculus?
Seriously, take all the maths classes you can - it's hard to pick up maths by yourself later.
Don't worry too much about exactly how relevant something is going to be later - can you predict everything you are going to need to know in the next 50 years?

What is the difference between Calculus and Linear Algebra?

Calculus and Linear Algebra are both branches of mathematics that are commonly used in computer science. Calculus deals with the study of change and rates of change, while Linear Algebra deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations. In simpler terms, Calculus focuses on continuous functions and rates of change, while Linear Algebra focuses on systems of linear equations and transformations.

Which class is more applicable to computer science?

Both Calculus and Linear Algebra have applications in computer science. Calculus is commonly used in fields such as artificial intelligence, data analysis, and computer graphics, while Linear Algebra is used in computer graphics, machine learning, and cryptography. Ultimately, the applicability of each class will depend on your specific interests and career goals within computer science.

Which class is more challenging?

This will vary for each individual. Generally, Calculus is seen as more challenging due to its focus on complex concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. On the other hand, Linear Algebra is more focused on algebraic concepts and may be easier for students who struggle with calculus. It is important to consider your strengths and weaknesses in math when making this decision.

Do I need to take both classes for computer science?

It depends on your specific degree program and career goals. Some computer science programs may require both Calculus and Linear Algebra, while others may only require one or the other. It is important to check with your academic advisor or program requirements to determine which classes are necessary for your degree.

Which class should I take first?

Typically, Calculus is a prerequisite for Linear Algebra, so it is recommended to take Calculus first before enrolling in Linear Algebra. However, if you have a strong foundation in algebra and are more interested in linear concepts, you may be able to take Linear Algebra first with permission from your advisor. It is important to consider your personal strengths and interests when deciding which class to take first.