1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Picking classes

1. Aug 19, 2007 #1
    Hey everyone,

I recently went to enroll for classes for my first quarter of college. However, I have a bit of a dilemma (or so I think). When I left high school I assumed the university would see on my final transcript that I took pre-calculus (I got a B+), and that I would be allowed to take calculus. As it turns out, the school requires that I take a pre-calculus placement test before I'm allowed to go directly into calculus. So for the moment, I am currently enrolled in a linear algebra class. I think I should just take the test so I can go into calculus, but then again I'm not 100% sure what I should do. My questions are:

Is it absolutely necessary that I start out in calculus, or can I just start in linear algebra?

Is linear algebra even that important in CS?

Thanks again

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2007 #2
    uhh, I don't know what you mean by CS... but if you are taking physics 1 I think you will need calculus, btw I recently took a calculus placement exam (for NYU)... it was all trig and algebra, easy as pie...

4. Aug 20, 2007 #3
    Sorry about that, by CS I meant computer science. I'm a computer science major.

5. Aug 20, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is calculus?
    Seriously, take all the maths classes you can - it's hard to pick up maths by yourself later.
    Don't worry too much about exactly how relevant something is going to be later - can you predict everything you are going to need to know in the next 50 years?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?