Picking User Names & Passwords: Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, Wolram has a unique username and password that he uses on different boards. MGb has a username and password that are easy to remember but not very imaginative.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I guess every one frequents more than one forum, some forums seem to accept any old user name, but some can be a pain in the situon, type in joe blogs and it will come up with, joe blogs is all ready used but you can have joe blogs 1278467, i mean as if i could remember that,
then there is pass words, every easy one to remember is not accepted, so you have to use one that is not, wright them all down you say, well i did but can not remember where.

Physics news on Phys.org
I use my initials followed by _site, so mgb_phys for here.
Not very imaginative but it handles the cases where mgb is already taken or there is a minimum length.
I used to sysadmin a bunch of machines and it was the only way to keep track of which userid was for which server.

I happen to know how wolram derived his user-name, and I heartily agree.

I use a string of numbers to ensure my username's not taken on any board I visit.

My passwords are unique to each site.but they are easy to deduce knowing my algorithm. And I change them semi-regularly.

Hey Wolram, there is software out there that stores all your usernames and passwords for different sites and then you just use a "master" password to access that information to use as you like. I have personally never used it because I don't like keeping all my eggs in one basket. I'm not one for changing my password very often or having algorithms and stuff, but if you just take a normal word you're used to using and add some captial letters and numbers in between and it's pretty much uncrackable.

The only thing I worry about is my credit card details, but I don't give a poop if someone hacks my PF account, for example, and starts posting replies (they'd probably bet better than most of mine anyway :wink:)

My username is an old Quake nick that I used to use and it's very uncommon, so I haven't had many probs.

1. What are the most important factors to consider when choosing a username?

When choosing a username, it is important to consider the uniqueness, length, and complexity of the username. It should also be easy to remember and not reveal any personal information.

2. Should I use the same password for all my accounts?

No, it is not recommended to use the same password for all your accounts. If one account is compromised, it puts all your other accounts at risk. It is better to use unique passwords for each account.

3. How often should I change my password?

It is recommended to change your password every 3-6 months. This helps to prevent any potential breaches and keeps your accounts secure.

4. Is it safe to use password managers?

Yes, password managers are a secure way to store and manage your passwords. They use encryption and other security measures to protect your information.

5. What are some tips for creating a strong password?

A strong password should be at least 12 characters long and include a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters. Avoid using easily guessable information such as your name or birthdate. You can also use a passphrase or use a password generator for added security.